Band on the Run
NewsCenter : Latest Beatle & McCartney News from MACCAcentral.com
Please Wait

Loading Content
Next »

Paul McCartney: `Yoko Ono WASN'T to blame for splitting up the Beatles. It was the fault of our new manager`

Sir Paul McCartney has defended Yoko Ono by insisting she was not responsible for the split of the Beatles.

In a television interview five decades after the iconic rock and roll band released their first single, Love Me Do, the musician said: 'She certainly didn't break the group up, the group was breaking up.'

McCartney, 70, who also said that Lennon could not have written songs such as Imagine without Yoko's avant garde influence, may help to dispel decades of hostility displayed towards the late singer's widow who has long been made a scapegoat for the band's 1970 split.

Sir Paul said: 'I don't think he could have done that without Yoko, so I don't think you can blame her for anything. When Yoko came along, part of her attraction was her avant garde side, her view of things, so she showed him another way to be, which was very attractive to him.

'So it was time for John to leave, he was definitely going to leave [one way or another].'

He did concede that having Yoko sit in on band studio sessions made him uncomfortable.

Sir Paul also admitted residual bitterness for the late Allen Klein, believing the businessman who tried to take over following manager Brian Epstein's death in 1967 had created a rift between the group.

'I was fighting amongst the other three guys who'd been my lifelong soul buddies. I said I wanted to fight Klein.'

Sir Paul tells Frost that looking back he was happy with the timing of The Beatles split.

According to The Observer, the interview with Sir David Frost for television channel Al Jazeera English, will see Sir Paul muse on losing his mother at the age of 14 and his first wife Linda in 1998.

Both Sir Paul and Lennon went on to forge successful solo music careers after the Beatles disbanded in 1970.

Sir Paul is apparently known for only giving 15-minute interviews but the latest meeting with Sir David will be composed of 60-minute episodes starting on November 9.

Sir David first interviewed a fresh-faced McCartney nearly 50 years ago when The Beatles first broke onto the music scene.

Then he told Frost that he would 'like to retire soon'.

The series is already being billed as Sir David's return to the famous 'Nixon-style' interviews from 1977.

As well as talking about the band's split, Yoko Ono and Allen Klein, Sir Paul opens up about his marriage to first wife Linda, mother to four of his five children, Mary, Heather, Stella and James, and her death from cancer in 1998.

Although his latest marriage to American Nancy Shevell is discussed in the interview, McCartney and Frost do not discuss his relationship with second wife Heather Mills with whom he acrimoniously split in April 2006.

Frost, 73, has worked for Al-Jazeera English since the channel's launch back in 2006.

 

Last Updated: 10/30/12 09:08
.

view comments Comments (9)

9 people have commented on this story so far. Tell us what you think below.
by Salvatore : Mexico November 2, 2012 1:48 AM EDT (Guest)  click to register
I can`t hardly believe it! Probably he had forced to say that, becuase of some kind of blacmail between them. Wiliam Campbell stuff, you know. I`m just kidding.
 Reply to this comment -
reply by Julia : nhNJwGNVfvRv January 22, 2013 1:28 AM EST
perfectly. It informational resource, I`ll bookmark it and visit it again!
 Reply to this comment
reply by XRumerTest : April 21, 2013 7:40 AM EDT
Hello. And Bye.
 Reply to this comment
reply by XRumerTest : April 21, 2013 7:40 AM EDT
Hello. And Bye.
 Reply to this comment
reply by XRumerTest : April 21, 2013 9:31 PM EDT
Hello. And Bye.
 Reply to this comment
reply by XRumerTest : April 21, 2013 9:31 PM EDT
Hello. And Bye.
 Reply to this comment
reply by iphonecase53 : Iceland May 28, 2013 8:31 PM EDT
 Reply to this comment
reply by iphonecase53 : Iceland May 29, 2013 3:04 AM EDT
 Reply to this comment
reply by Linda : ElexiRLsp August 31, 2013 7:24 PM EDT
Hello guys! I have 20 Minecraft premium accounts that I wont use so I decided to give it away to those of you whom cant afford to buy one. Please send an email to this email: buchyhhh@gmail.com
 Reply to this comment

Please enter your name, city, email and comment below:

Add a comment to this article:

Paul McCartney: `Yoko Ono WASN'T to blame for splitting up the Beatles. It was the fault of our new manager`


  Name:
  Email:
  City/Country:
  Enter your comment:
  You have  characters left.
Enter the text as it is shown below:
captcha This extra step helps prevent automated abuse of this feature. Please enter the characters exactly as you see them.

        
NOTE: The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Click here to review our Terms of Use. Report any abusive comments by clicking the report icon. This feature allows both website guests and members to participate. All comments currently are separate from the oBLOGdi-oBLOGda forums but a method is being worked on so comments are interchangable.

Search Amazon

Share

 Today in Beatle History:

Today in Beatle History


Search News Archive


Sign up to our newsletter

Get the most from MACCA Central

Newsletter is under construction.

News Summary

Sir Paul McCartney has defended Yoko Ono by insisting she was not responsible for the split of the Beatles.