McCartneyII
NewsCenter : Latest Beatle & McCartney News from MACCAcentral.com
Please Wait

Loading Content
Next »

Rolling Stones to battle The Beatles for 2012 Olympics gig

LONDON: 'The Beatles' legend Paul McCartney and rockers 'The Rolling Stones' are battling it out to headline the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.

The Rolling Stones and 68-year-old McCartney, one of the two surviving Beatles, have both played at the American Super Bowl to worldwide audiences of over 100 million but only one of them will be able to jam at the games to be held here, Daily Star reported.

"The 2012 Olympics opening ­ceremony is going to be ­spectacular. It has to be to kick off the event in great British style. Everyone wants to be a part of this historical happening and what is great for us is The Rolling Stones and Paul ­McCartney are interested in playing," a source said.

"They both have an outstanding catalogue of hit after hit that everyone across the world knows. The Stones and McCartney can easily carry off something of this magnitude on the world stage," the source added.

'The Rolling Stones' formed in 1962 and led by vocalist Mick Jagger have sold more than 200 million albums worldwide while McCartney has been rated as one of the most successful songwriter in the history of popular music.

"We're looking at the American Super Bowl's half-time show - which they have played at - as the kind of thing we're going for with the opening ceremony. It would be great to have both but there can only be one headliner. It's going to be difficult but talks have opened and we'll see what can be worked out," the source said.

McCartney's fashion designer daughter Stella is designing the England team's 2012 Olympic kit.

Last Updated: 08/08/10 11:11
.

view comments Comments (3)

3 people have commented on this story so far. Tell us what you think below.
by Flyborg : Gothenburg, Sweden August 16, 2010 4:28 PM EDT (FUNsite member)
I have created a Facebook page to support Paul for the 2012 London Olympic Games. Roll up!
 Reply to this comment -
by Lazarus_2 : Australia August 11, 2010 11:12 AM EDT (FUNsite member)
There can only be one headline act, because they can only afford one...
 Reply to this comment -
by Paul : Fairfax, VA August 8, 2010 5:46 PM EDT (Guest)  click to register
2012 is a long ways off, however if the Olympic people are looking at Super Bowl performances Paul is a LOCK! I like the Stones too, but let`s face it their Super Bowl Show was one of the worst ever. Only the Who, last year, came come close to sucking quite as bad.
 Reply to this comment -

Please enter your name, city, email and comment below:

Add a comment to this article:

Rolling Stones to battle The Beatles for 2012 Olympics gig


  Name:
  Email:
  City/Country:
  Enter your comment:
  You have  characters left.
Enter the text as it is shown below:
captcha This extra step helps prevent automated abuse of this feature. Please enter the characters exactly as you see them.

        
NOTE: The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Click here to review our Terms of Use. Report any abusive comments by clicking the report icon. This feature allows both website guests and members to participate. All comments currently are separate from the oBLOGdi-oBLOGda forums but a method is being worked on so comments are interchangable.

Share

 Today in Beatle History:

Today in Beatle History


Search News Archive


Sign up to our newsletter

Get the most from MACCA Central

Newsletter is under construction.

News Summary

LONDON: 'The Beatles' legend Paul McCartney and rockers 'The Rolling Stones' are battling it out to headline the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics. The Rolling Stones and 68-year-old McCartney, one of the two surviving Beatles, have both played at the American Super Bowl to worldwide audiences of over 100 million but only one of them will be able to jam at the games to be held here, Daily Star reported.