::The Beatles ( White Album)

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

:The Beatles ( White Album)

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:31 pm

The Beatles (The White Album)
November 22, 1968 Apple Records

Disc 1, Side A
1. Back In The U.S.S.R. (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Glass Onion (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Wild Honey Pie (Lennon/McCartney)
6. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Lennon/McCartney)
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Lennon/McCartney)

Disc 1, Side B
9. Martha My Dear (Lennon/McCartney)
10. I'm So Tired (Lennon/McCartney)
11. Blackbird (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Piggies (Harrison)
13. Rocky Racoon (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Don't Pass Me By (Starkey)
15. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (Lennon/McCartney)
16. I Will (Lennon/McCartney)
17. Julia (Lennon/McCartney)

Disc 2, Side A
1. Birthday (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Yer Blues (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Mother Nature's Son (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Sexy Sadie (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Helter Skelter (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Long, Long, Long (Harrison)

Disc 2, Side B
8. Revolution 1 (Lennon/McCartney)
9. Honey Pie (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Savoy Truffle (Harrison)
11. Cry Baby Cry (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Revolution 9 (Lennon/McCartney)
13. Good Night (Lennon/McCartney)

Originally titled "A Doll's House," most of The White album was written while on a meditation study with the Maharishi Yogi (the bands' second such trip). Because they were "roughing it" and had only their acoustic guitars with them, most of the songs are or were originally acoustic in nature. The concept of the record is that it was to be the opposite of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band; for example, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band had a long title and a lavishly colored cover; The White Album was simply titled The Beatles and derived it's nickname from the completely white cover. The US version did not feature black sleeves as the UK version did, and the 4 photos were smaller. Reports indicate that Capitol had compressed most of the album but George Harrison discovered this and set things right, although due to some mechanical error there is audible evidence of this during "Cry Baby Cry", near the line "all the children". Copies were numbered, the same system used at all 12 pressing plants (so there are 12 1s, 12 2s, etc). Also, due to dispute over banding (where the space between songs is visable on the record disc), some copies are banded and some aren't - even between copies pressed at the same plant. No singles were issued from the album until 1976, when the "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/Julia" single was released
Ghavi

:The Beatles ( White Album)

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:31 pm

The Beatles (The White Album)
November 22, 1968 Apple Records

Disc 1, Side A
1. Back In The U.S.S.R. (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Glass Onion (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Wild Honey Pie (Lennon/McCartney)
6. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Lennon/McCartney)
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Lennon/McCartney)

Disc 1, Side B
9. Martha My Dear (Lennon/McCartney)
10. I'm So Tired (Lennon/McCartney)
11. Blackbird (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Piggies (Harrison)
13. Rocky Racoon (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Don't Pass Me By (Starkey)
15. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (Lennon/McCartney)
16. I Will (Lennon/McCartney)
17. Julia (Lennon/McCartney)

Disc 2, Side A
1. Birthday (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Yer Blues (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Mother Nature's Son (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Sexy Sadie (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Helter Skelter (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Long, Long, Long (Harrison)

Disc 2, Side B
8. Revolution 1 (Lennon/McCartney)
9. Honey Pie (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Savoy Truffle (Harrison)
11. Cry Baby Cry (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Revolution 9 (Lennon/McCartney)
13. Good Night (Lennon/McCartney)

Originally titled "A Doll's House," most of The White album was written while on a meditation study with the Maharishi Yogi (the bands' second such trip). Because they were "roughing it" and had only their acoustic guitars with them, most of the songs are or were originally acoustic in nature. The concept of the record is that it was to be the opposite of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band; for example, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band had a long title and a lavishly colored cover; The White Album was simply titled The Beatles and derived it's nickname from the completely white cover. The US version did not feature black sleeves as the UK version did, and the 4 photos were smaller. Reports indicate that Capitol had compressed most of the album but George Harrison discovered this and set things right, although due to some mechanical error there is audible evidence of this during "Cry Baby Cry", near the line "all the children". Copies were numbered, the same system used at all 12 pressing plants (so there are 12 1s, 12 2s, etc). Also, due to dispute over banding (where the space between songs is visable on the record disc), some copies are banded and some aren't - even between copies pressed at the same plant. No singles were issued from the album until 1976, when the "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/Julia" single was released
Ghavi

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:33 pm

Number two in my list of all-time favorite albums (no. one is Abbey Road). I love the diversity of styles, love all the rockers on it, plus Dear Prudence, Martha My Dear and all the other songs related to animals/birds, Good Night, Julia, I Will. There´s not much left out after that - I don´t care for "Wild Honey Pie","Revolution Nine" and "Don´t Pass me By" only and that´s it.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Maestri09 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:06 pm

It's my favourite beatles album.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:42 am

I guess it's their album with the largest percent of rockers since RUBBER SOUL. No wonder It got a hold on me...[:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby Ghavi » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:23 pm

I have cd 1 and cd 2 separated in different cd-boxes...anybody else do this? [?]
Ghavi

Postby Steve-o » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:21 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ghavi
I have cd 1 and cd 2 separated in different cd-boxes...anybody else do this? [?]
No. Mine are married and prefer to be close in proximity. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bianca_macca » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Number two in my list of all-time favorite albums (no. one is Abbey Road). I love the diversity of styles, love all the rockers on it, plus Dear Prudence, Martha My Dear and all the other songs related to animals/birds, Good Night, Julia, I Will. There´s not much left out after that - I don´t care for "Wild Honey Pie","Revolution Nine" and "Don´t Pass me By" only and that´s it.

I totally agree! I remember the first time I heard Revolution Nine. I was on holiday at a campsite at that moment. It was night and I was in my tent all alone with the white album in my disc man. It was FREAKY. I've never been so scared in my life and to be honest: I've never ever listened to that 'song' again.

But the diversity, that's indeed what makes the white album one of the greatest.
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Maestri09 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:24 am

I agree, it can get really scary--especially if you hear it all by yourself. because the sounds seem so random, it feels like it's a message from space or something played by a ghost. The eeriest part I found was the backwards sample of the crowd shouting. I hated that!
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:20 am

I find the segments with strings (violins) to be most saddening, thinking of John and of what could have been, hadn´t he gone...[:(]

On the other hand, I enjoy the wwords spoken ocasionally by John and George "..alright..." ....Eldorado"...), but couldn´t care less for Ono´s artsy-fartsy "...you become naked..."

And yeah, the (football ?)crowd chants kind of scare me...
Berkeleyan

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums