faux mccartney !

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

faux mccartney !

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:29 am

over the weekend i found two albums, 'let us in - nashville' (2011) and 'let us in - americana' (2013). both are tribute albums featuring artists both well known and some not quite so well known. proceeds for both go to charity

they feature songs written by you-know-who...

nashville, which has a...get this...nashville kinda spin on most/all tracks, is pretty dang spiffy: i'd give it a 4.5 out of 5

with a little luck - shedaisy...very nice
every night - timothy b schmidt (of 'eagles' fame...backed by none other than denny seiwell and laurence juber !) very nice
blackbird - sarah darling...also nice
maybe i'm amazed - steel magnolia...very good...nice interplay by switching it up and having the lyrics sung back and forth by a male and a female..gets a nice bit of an edge going...
lady madonna - phil vassar...neat interpretation, i like
junk - blue sky riders...this is kenny loggins & friends...nice
mull of kintyre - cheyenne kimball...really neat version
bluebird - julianna cole...also very nice
listen to what the man said - ricky skaggs...while i quite like it, it is also a bit of a let dwon: skaggs has spent an aweul lot of time acting like a playa in the bluegrass/roots movement..yet really brings very little to it...shoulda been better, imho
heart of the country - jeff daniels...hmmm..okay...this is the actor...y'know 'dumb n dumber'...so is this version...dumberer...comes close to tying with william shatner as a worst cover by an actor of all time award...
i saw her standing there - nikki shannon fernandez...absolutely the best track on the record...nearly redefines the song..this girl owns this track
i will - jordyn shellhart...really nice rendition...quite spiffy
no more lonely nights - chuck wicks...another, tho minor, revelation...wicks turns this into a modern country ballad and it works wonders...bravo
calico skies - nancy sirianni...my stars...another out and out winner !! who'da thunk this song would be so good as a countrified ballad
pipes of peace - samantha landrum..yowza !! i might be committing some real heresy here...but i think i like this version better than the original...it is at the very least as good as it
she's a woman - tommy emmanuel...this is even a bigger letdown than skaggs...while it is nice and perfectly serviceable...that's about it. emmanuel is a guitar wizard, and seeing as this is just guitar, no vocals...i kinda expected more than just tossed off rehash...nice filler..but that is about it

...and then there's 'americana'...it tries for a more rootsier, grittier, bluesy and/or bluegrass feel...sometimes it succeeds, sometimes, not so much...4 out of 5

come and get it - the wood brothers...nice, has some interesting things going...but it never really takes flight: there are better attempts later on
yellow submarine - buddy miller...this guy nearly walks on wyare these days...but here he's just sort of floatin along...much like the wood bros...he just doesn't bring it...too tame, but nice
band on the run - will hoge...hmmm..lame...kinda shouldna been attempted...doesn't add a thing..not a train wreck but easily the weakest track with the least to say
i'm looking through you - jim lauderdale...this is more like it..a nice move in the right direction, after a few wobbly moments, some real rootsy feeling is emerging...still not quite there, but smile inducing nonetheless
my love - holly williams...nice...dreamy...spot on
let me roll it - teddy thompson..much like the lauderdale track, a nice move...a little more country blues than rootsy blues, , but pretty good
fool on the hill - bruce cockburn...yep, the canadien guy...really like this one...just him and a guitar..in his style very nice
get back - ollabelle...think kinda memphis soul...jumpin' organ with a dash a country...very nice with a slight smolder
let 'em in - lee ann womack...wow ! what a fantastic interpretation !! great stuff !!
i will - steve earle and allison moorer...quite spiffy !! can easily hear this come drift outta any backwoods watering hole...coulda easily been the best track if not for that secor guy...
every night - rodney crowell...he quite easily invests a clear, bold and assertive passion for the song..great stuff
yesterday - matraca berg...nice, sad, plaintive reading...great stuff, again
give ireland back to the irish - ketch secor..wholly crap !! ketch is the front man for 'old crow medicine show' they are pretty good, you should check 'em out ! this is great stuff !! best song on this album..completely owns this song..wonderful, stompin' celtic/bluegrass mix that would make paddy maloney beam with pride...probably made paul do so, too
i've just seen a face - sam bush...this album just keeps up the victories..this is fantastic, i certainly never would've thought of this song as a bit of a country/bluegrass stomp..but it frikkin works ! great stuff
uncle albert/admiral halsey - ed snodderly...this one starts out very good...lots of slide work...the vocals start out cool..but then it kinda meanders. ed sounds a little like wayne coyne..and if he brought a rootsy sensibility as wayne does for rock, this would've been killer..as it is, while they try really try hard, but it is a bit of a miss..still, gotta give 'em points for trying
let it be - the mccrary sisters, w/amy helm, fiona mcbain and allsion moorer...nice..but it feels all sort of anticlimactic after the greatness that preceeded it...if you're gonna tackle a song this big and this well known..ya gotta bring 110% or more...this feels like 95%
Last edited by mr h atom on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Re: faux mccartney !

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 am

So many faveartists of mine Buddy Miller Steve Earle Crowell and all the others I am à devoted follower of Americana and other sorts of rootmusic So I Will searc for those albums Thank s for this info mr H
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 am

:salute

they are both really good albums...lots of fun :-BD
mr h atom

Postby bravefan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Ok friend, where did you locate these "gems"?
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 pm

like most great treasures...they can be found in some jungle down south
mr h atom

Postby chris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm

i'm going to check these out at my local library. you'd be stunned to see what they had. and sometimes...it just takes a request for it if they don't already have it.

thanks for he heads up. i'm always up for a recommendation. and if it can spread the word of the macca...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to MACCA - all discussions