Mull of Kintyre live in concerts

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Mull of Kintyre live in concerts

Postby cucaio » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:53 am

Hi! Does anybody know why Paul doesn't sing almost ever "Mull of Kintyre" during his concerts? It is one of my favourites Paul's songs and he almost never sing it during his concerts. Is there a specific reason? He also never sings songs of the 80's, like "Ebony and Ivory", "No more lonely nights", "Once upon a long ago",... Why? Is there a live version (cd or vhs or dvd) of "Mull of Kintyre"? Thanks for your help and kind regards.
cucaio

Postby Boggle » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:59 am

Paul Has Performed Mull Of Kintyre live in Glasgow 90 and several times in Toronto also Ebony & Ivory was played live on the Flowers Tour.
A Live version of Mull Of Kintyre was released as a bonus track on 1 of his All My Trials cd singles.
Boggle
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 am

That's a question for which there's no answer. There's hundreds of great songs that Paul could play in concert, but we'll never get to hear the majority of them. He played Ebony & Ivory during the '89-'90 tour. He also played Mull Of Kintyre at least once during that tour. There was a recorded version released on his All My Trials CD-Single in 1990. Mike has it up on Macca Radio under the Xtra Paul category.
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cucaio » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for your infos! I hope he'll sing "Mull of Kintyre" in future, maybe next Year during the european tour (I hope there will be one next Year...).
cucaio

Postby BruceMirken » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:03 am

I suspect he doesn't think American's know/appreciate "Mull" because Capitol didn't really promote it here, apparently thinking (wrongly) that "Girls School" would score better on the radio. Toronto gets to hear it, but America never does.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ANGRY » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:10 am

always loved this song, maybe it wasn't pushed in the states as capitol thought it was too british (?) i remember seeing the video on american tv in a macca special.
wasn't it on the Back In The World live cd ?
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:00 pm

ANGRY wrote:always loved this song, maybe it wasn't pushed in the states as capitol thought it was too british (?) i remember seeing the video on american tv in a macca special.
wasn't it on the Back In The World live cd ?

No, Sir, it wasn't, and he didn't do it in either of the concerts I saw in 2003 and 2004 - looks like this song - at least these days - is really and truly reserved for Toronto. The only live version done in Europe that I know is the one coming on "Last Flight".
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:54 pm

Does anybody have a boot from Toronto?
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Mull of Kintyre live in concerts

Postby Maestri09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:24 am

From a bootleg I have of the '93 Toronto show, Paul says he doesn't play it often because he feels most people don't know it.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: Mull of Kintyre live in concerts

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:56 pm

It was a huge hit in the UK and not so much over here in the Americas. I was lucky to be in the sound check in Toronto '05 where they rehearsed it some four or five times. Paul will play this song in Toronto and did in Halifax because of the huge amount of ex-pats there. He has never taken a pipe band on tour, he would give the honors to a local pipe band who would get the call to prepare the song. Paul would only get to rehearse with the pipe band during normal pre-show sound check. He obviously has decided not to do this song without a full Pipe Band and all it's glory.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours