Cream at Madison Square Garden

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Cream at Madison Square Garden

Postby maccastheman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:19 pm

I was there for the first night, and let me say it was amazing. They looked so much more vibrant last night than they did even on the DVD from the Royal Albert Hall. Clapton's solos during "Stormy Monday" and "Born Under a Bad Sign" were some of the best I've heard him do. Jack Bruce still has such a powerful voice, and Ginger Baker blew me away with his solo during "Toad." The greatest drummer alive - no question! (Sorry Ringo)
Anywayz, can't wait to see Paul next month to cap off a great concert year. I just wish Clapton would work more with Cream - to finally hear "Tales of Brave Ulysses," "White Room"(With Jack Bruce singing), "NSU," "Sweet Wine," etc. done the way they were meant to be done was just mind blowing. It's also the best version of "Badge" I've ever heard. Jack Bruce's bass lines were unbelievable. (Not to mention Clapton's guitar and singing)
I could go on and on. I will remember every detail of that night forever. (Just as I remember the first time I saw McCartney live)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:47 pm

mtm!! I knew you'd drop in to give us Le Creme lowdown--good one!

I got the CD set a few weeks ago. Love that Crossroads! I'm telling my kids to get me the DVD next month for my birthday.

Brian Ray's website blog says that Paul and his band attended too. I don't doubt that it was probably a somewhat better show than Albert Hall--if they were to release it on CD, I'd get that one too, lol
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby EddieV » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 am

For me Clapton was best in the 60´s and I would love to hear Cream live.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:56 am

theDingle wrote:mtm!! I knew you'd drop in to give us Le Creme lowdown--good one!

I got the CD set a few weeks ago. Love that Crossroads! I'm telling my kids to get me the DVD next month for my birthday.

Brian Ray's website blog says that Paul and his band attended too. I don't doubt that it was probably a somewhat better show than Albert Hall--if they were to release it on CD, I'd get that one too, lol

Dingle - Of course I had to give the lowdown, lol! I kept looking for celebrities there, but I couldn't see them. I was down on the floor, and I'll bet a lot of them were in boxes or something.

I really like the way they played Monday night - they didn't really "over-do" the jams, but they played the heck out of their instruments. It's a really fine balance and I think age and expreience has helped them reach that balance. (Not over-playing too much, but giving you just enough to want more) They stuck pretty close to the song structures, but filled in with just the right amount of improvisation. I was mesmorized by Ginger Baker's drum solo during "Toad." And it was great seeing Clapton have to play every guitar line instead of handing them off to side men. His solos were astonishing. What probably blew me away the most was Jack Bruce. He's such an incredible bass player - right up there near McCartney. And his voice still sounded great.

I agree with EddieV too. Clapton was best in the '60s, but at least he's still relevant. His work is different now, but still powerful in a different way. I just love the songs he wrote with Cream. (And that Jack Bruce wrote with Pete Brown) I think that's the main thing. They were more psychadelic, and I like that about them. They still had a pop element to them as well. (Which I know Clapton struggled with) At least he's finally able to admit what a great hybrid they were.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:59 pm

theDingle wrote:
Brian Ray's website blog says that Paul and his band attended too.

I just read that Paul Newman, Tommy Hilfiger, David Letterman, Bill Murray, and Lorne Michaels were at the Monight show as well. I didn't see any of them, but I was on the 9th row on the floor so I got to see the only ones that mattered! 8)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby esto » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:34 pm

maccastheman wrote:
theDingle wrote:
Brian Ray's website blog says that Paul and his band attended too.

I just read that Paul Newman, Tommy Hilfiger, David Letterman, Bill Murray, and Lorne Michaels were at the Monight show as well. I didn't see any of them, but I was on the 9th row on the floor so I got to see the only ones that mattered! 8)
Heh, lucky you. As soon as possible i'll buy a DVD.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:55 am

Great to read from you guys that Cream is back and playing like they're reclaiming their status of old to rightfullly be the Creme de la Creme of rock trios ! :D
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:17 pm

I saw some of the new DVD, it was on PBS last night, wow, comes across even better visually!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:09 pm

theDingle wrote:I saw some of the new DVD, it was on PBS last night, wow, comes across even better visually!

Yeah, the real eye opener for me was Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Clapton was great as always, but it's not like these guys have been touring that much lately. They just seemed to be so happy up there on the stage.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:53 am

Friday there was a programme where Cream live at Royal Albert Hall 2005 was aired. They still play great.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists