What made you like Paul better than the other Beatles?

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Jeremy K2 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:19 am

Mi

Just checked and they were your comments on the forum I agreed with.
I'll have to stop making entries if I keep doing this (making a fool of myself). Does your husband like Paul too - my girlfriend gets very fed up with me but generally likes McCartney.
Cheerio
Jeremy
P.S. let's hope Yoko never comes to either Australia or Israel!
Jeremy K2

Postby mi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:38 am

Yeah, my husband likes Paul, though it is mostly through my influence. His mother was a Beatles fan in the 60's (she grew up in Poland) and her favorite was John, still is actually. We have constant arguments...but it is all in good spirit. We respect each-other's opinins.
Yoko in Israel? somehow I don't see that happening...not that I care much. Actually I read sometime that she and John once landed in Israel on their way to Japan but didn't even leave the plane.
George Martin has already been here, though. And so have Madonna, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Guns and Roses, Whitney Houston...you name them. Phil Collins is coming next month. So I don't see why Paul is so reluctant. It's not like the USA or Europe are much safer these days.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby edgeturbo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:05 am

I love the rest of the Beatles but Paul's music is so much catchy.All of his albums i can sit and listen to all day, they are great.John Lennon is good but some of his solo work was kind of boring.As of George,he was pretty good but he came and then he went, and as for ringo,well he is ringo ...............the drummer but i still like him.
edgeturbo

His solo work

Postby jgkojak » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Frankly, it is interesting that Paul has such a rich and lengthy solo catalog-

There is just so much more to discuss, compare/contrast.

John and Paul are equal genises, but John's has such a limited catalog.

I also appreciate that Paul was a driving force, loved making music and continued to do so, while John seems to have burned himself out to some degree.
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:34 pm

I love all the Beatles equally. But mabye i love Paul a little extra bit more because i feel the need to defend him. Only we know how good his solo catologue is, and that's special to me. Perhaps if John had lived and created a body of work as diverse and large as Macca's it would be the same for him too.

But I don't have a favourite "Beatle". In the Beatles him and JL were equal, nor do i dislike any John solo stuff. For example, i love Sometime in NYC in the same way as I love MacII - both very underrated, ahead of their time.

But Macca needs defending from the haters - and i'm there for him. My girlfriend hates him, and i quite like that. I annoyed her all summer by playing Fine Line over and over and over...

The characters of them doesn't really come into it for me. All 4 beatles were pretty fed up of it by 1970, they all said and did things they probably regret...even Paul, mi! He put Beatles ****ing on the back of Ram, remember? And i quite like that anyway. It shows that they all cared. And by the 1980 interviews, JL had nothing but great things to say about the 60s

Love em all, but Macca is a tiny bit more special
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby talmat1958 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:46 pm

When it's all said and done, it's about the music. And, the music to me is the way it SOUNDS. Lennon was the most gifted lyricist in the group-- one of the most gifted ever in pop/rock history. But, Paul was more "musical"-- at least to my ears.

Even on the worst solo Paul albums, there's one or two (or more) moments when something catches your ear...whether it's his vocal, or a melody line, or a bass line, or an arrangement, etc. There's always something interesting, inventive, playful, memorable...

Paul has music running in his veins...moreso than any of the other Beatles did. He's all about MUSIC and SOUND. And, that's what I like in an artist, or band.
talmat1958

Postby mi » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:31 am

james1985 wrote: My girlfriend hates him

What on earth for???? :shock:
My mother in law doesn't really like him either, so I had to give my husband a bit of a brain wash...but I wouldn't say she hates him, she's just more into John.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:35 am

mi wrote:

My mother in law doesn't really like him either, so I had to give my husband a bit of a brain wash...but I wouldn't say she hates him, she's just more into John.

she hates him because im obsessed with him!
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:37 am

talmat1958 wrote:When it's all said and done, it's about the music. And, the music to me is the way it SOUNDS. Lennon was the most gifted lyricist in the group-- one of the most gifted ever in pop/rock history. But, Paul was more "musical"-- at least to my ears.

Even on the worst solo Paul albums, there's one or two (or more) moments when something catches your ear...whether it's his vocal, or a melody line, or a bass line, or an arrangement, etc. There's always something interesting, inventive, playful, memorable...

Paul has music running in his veins...moreso than any of the other Beatles did. He's all about MUSIC and SOUND. And, that's what I like in an artist, or band.

well he's undoubtedtly got the most natrual melodic ear of anyone since rock n roll began
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:24 am

james1985 wrote:
mi wrote:

she hates him because im obsessed with him!

Sounds quite logical...and no, I didn't turn my husband into a fanatic John hater (I'm sure that thought had crossed your mind...)
Last edited by mi on Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle