Alternate Albums

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Alternate Albums

Postby crozzauk » Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:43 am

What would you change about Maccas albums.
I personally think that Paul is pretty lame judge of his songs. I prefer to think of his albums as the groups of songs recorded during or around the sessions for the album. Some of his albums COULD have been amazing but for one reason or another he has left off great tracks, either released them as a non-album single (unheard of in todays market but regular practice for the Beatles and Macca), relegated them to B-Sides, or just never bothered releasing them.
For me it is the most frustrating part of being a Macca fan as a lot of the stuff that does make it onto the album is often inferior to the stuff that doesnt.
Imagine Ram with Another Day and Oh Woman, Oh Why. Red Rose Speedway as a double album. London Town with waterspout, Mull Of Kintyre, Girls School. Back To The Egg with Goodnight Tonight, Daytime Nightime Suffering, Cage and Same Time Next Year.
Im sure many of his albums would have had a much better reception than they got, and he would have sold a lot more as a result ( not that Macca should be worried about the musical legacy he will leave the planet) but it would have been nicer if his solo stuff was more widely recognised.
crozzauk

Alternate Albums

Postby crozzauk » Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:43 am

What would you change about Maccas albums.
I personally think that Paul is pretty lame judge of his songs. I prefer to think of his albums as the groups of songs recorded during or around the sessions for the album. Some of his albums COULD have been amazing but for one reason or another he has left off great tracks, either released them as a non-album single (unheard of in todays market but regular practice for the Beatles and Macca), relegated them to B-Sides, or just never bothered releasing them.
For me it is the most frustrating part of being a Macca fan as a lot of the stuff that does make it onto the album is often inferior to the stuff that doesnt.
Imagine Ram with Another Day and Oh Woman, Oh Why. Red Rose Speedway as a double album. London Town with waterspout, Mull Of Kintyre, Girls School. Back To The Egg with Goodnight Tonight, Daytime Nightime Suffering, Cage and Same Time Next Year.
Im sure many of his albums would have had a much better reception than they got, and he would have sold a lot more as a result ( not that Macca should be worried about the musical legacy he will leave the planet) but it would have been nicer if his solo stuff was more widely recognised.
crozzauk

Postby Helter Skelter » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:45 am

Agree! Some of the songs on the Cold Cuts bootlegs (like Cage and Waterspout) are so much better than some tracks released on his albums at the time of recording.

Maybe he needs people like George Martin, Jeff Lynne or Elvis Costello to sharpen his output.

I love the story about the Tug of war recordings.. where Paul showed George Martin his new songs and martin said something like " 3 of the songs are super, 2 are ok and the rest you really have to work on a bit more" Paul was apparently taken aback by this and said in an interview that he thought George would say that all of them were good"

But that´s the kind of collaboration macca needs I think.
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jbh » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:41 pm

Did anyone ever see the 2-disc "Off The Ground" collection? Disc one was the regular album; disc 2 was a collection of all the extra tracks from the album's singles. Many of the "b-sides" from that album were stronger than some tracks that were on the album. Songs like "Kicked Around No More" and "Big Boys Bickering" in particular.
jbh

Postby jbh » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:42 pm

Did anyone ever see the 2-disc "Off The Ground" collection? Disc one was the regular album; disc 2 was a collection of all the extra tracks from the album's singles. Many of the "b-sides" from that album were stronger than some tracks that were on the album. Songs like "Kicked Around No More" and "Big Boys Bickering" in particular.
jbh

Postby Liam OSM » Mon May 13, 2002 3:54 pm

Hey, if we're going to be fair, a lot of The Beatles' better singles didn't make it onto the original albums!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 4:26 pm

Liam, you're right. Like 'Yes it Is', 'She's a Woman', 'Lady Madonna', 'Rain', 'Paperback Writer', 'We Can Work It Out', 'Strawberry Fields', (although it was later released on the MMT album. But it was originally just released by itself), 'Penny Lane', (same thing), and those are just to name a FEW.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 7:41 pm

Airdog, ring her up and tell her Ram1 needs some copies. Tell her I promise to be her date for the next high school reunion.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 7:48 pm

Ouch. Women and their tools.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 11:32 pm

Fargo...wood chipper. Double ouch.
Ram1

Return to MACCA - all discussions