Drums on Beatle recordings

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby dakota » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:03 pm

Being a fan for many years and having listened to some Beatle songs probably hundreds, some maybe a thousand times (I've got to get a real life!....lol), a person begins to listen to other elements of the music like the instrumental sounds, the production job, etc...

All the recordings had the drums only coming out of 1 channel (in other words 1 track) with the exception of 3 songs. "Get Back" (Single version only), "Don't let me down", and "The End". "Here Comes The Sun" has the drums in the center and a tom-tom roll on each chorus ending panned far left that sounds like it was added later if you wanna count that one.
dakota

Postby dakota » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:03 pm

Being a fan for many years and having listened to some Beatle songs probably hundreds, some maybe a thousand times (I've got to get a real life!....lol), a person begins to listen to other elements of the music like the instrumental sounds, the production job, etc...

All the recordings had the drums only coming out of 1 channel (in other words 1 track) with the exception of 3 songs. "Get Back" (Single version only), "Don't let me down", and "The End". "Here Comes The Sun" has the drums in the center and a tom-tom roll on each chorus ending panned far left that sounds like it was added later if you wanna count that one.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:07 pm

Didn't notice that, Dakota. But good post. It's true, after you've heard these songs literally thousands of times, you begin to listen to other elements of the recording. Like Pepper, even after listening to it my whole life, I still often hear something new every time I listen. It's just amazing.

Be kind to rams...
Ram1

Postby dakota » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:26 pm

The next time you listen to both "Don't Let Me Down" and "Get Back" you will notice that.....well it's easier by listening with headphones that Ringo's snare and hi-hat are panned far right and the kick and crash cymbal are far left.

Oddly the LP version of "Get Back" has all the drums panned center. They say the LP and SINGLE versions are from the same recording but if thats true why wouldn't they Spector keep the drums in stereo.
dakota

Postby dakota » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:30 pm

Correction: I meant to say Phil Spector.
The SINGLE version came out before he got involved with "Let It Be", so GM must have been the producer of that and Phil the producer of the LP version.
dakota

Postby Steve-o » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:26 pm

Dakota--yes..that is correct. The Get back single was from May 69. before Phil got his mitts on it.

Sooner or later, we all will be there...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dakota » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:00 am

This morning I was reading one of my Beatles recording session books and the author says that the LP version was recorded on jan 27th while the SINGLE version on jan 28th. Previously I thought both releases were from the same recording, just a different mix.
dakota

Postby Steve-o » Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:27 pm

Yes--I was just talking about the actual release date of the original single.

The Return of the Dog 8-23-02
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:06 am

And how about the drummers Andy White( studio session drummer) and Jimmy Nichol(Beatles'tour stepdrummer) that played with the Beatles?? Did they keep on their careers?? Anyone knows??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions