Other music

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 4:46 pm

If you're into punk, what's wrong with instrument bashing? It's pure adrenaline, and definitely a show stopper. Nirvana smashed their instruments almost more than The Who did. I mean, I definitely wouldn't want Macca to bash his, but it just fits with certain bands. But anyway, The Who stopped doing that eons ago anyway.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 4:47 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not the same without Ritchie Blackmore.
Ram1

Postby DrRobert » Mon May 13, 2002 5:08 pm

The instrument bashing felt fake with them, somehow. I just can't get into them. I also play guitar, piano, sign, etc, and I've tried playing their stuff - doesn't do anything for me.
After years of listening to the British bands of the early sixties, I feel that the Beatles are #1 - by far, Stones #2, Kinks #3 and the Animals #4 - then the Who. Additionally, if the Animals hadn't been idiots and stuck together I think they could've even surpassed the Stones.
DrRobert

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 5:15 pm

Good points. The Animals definitely had more potential than their short life span. I'm glad you mentioned The Kinks....often overlooked.
Ram1

Postby airdog » Mon May 13, 2002 5:22 pm

anybody who wants an instant and irrestible Kinks collection, try "The Kink Kronikles". The suits were bugging Ray Davies for a greatest hits collection, but rather than cave to them, he put together this unforgettable array...it's two discs that have never aged one second in thirty years, much like Sally Struthers...
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 13, 2002 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info, Airdog. And leave Sally Struthers alone. I still have a crush on her. (Love those 1970 go-go boots.)
Ram1

Postby DrRobert » Mon May 13, 2002 5:27 pm

In general, I don't like the bands of the 70s (Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Kansas, Boston, Genesis, even E-street Band, etc) with all those endless chord changes without a purpose (As David Byrne says in Psycho Killer: 'you're talking a lot, but you're not syaing anything); give me punk instead, any day.
DrRobert

Postby airdog » Mon May 13, 2002 5:32 pm

LITTLE FEAT towers over those bands. But I have trouble using the artificial boundary that the passing of a decade seems to connote to many.
airdog

Postby DrRobert » Mon May 13, 2002 5:56 pm

OK, here's my final list (4 additions):

Group1:
The Beatles , together and apart
Group2:
Bowie, Stones, Irving Berlin, Dylan, The Bee Gees, Queen, The Kinks, Pink Floyd
Group3:
Style Council, Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Jam, Police, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix,
Group4:
The Animals, Sex Pistols, Elvis, Cream, Culture Club, Peter Gabriel, Muddy Waters, The Stranglers, Madness, The Specials, Deep Purple, Tom Robinson Band, Nirvana, Buddy Holly, Abba, Guns & Roses, Temptations, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Talking Heads, Blondie, Rory Gallagher
DrRobert

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 5:29 am

Erm, dakota, I think you forgot the Plastic Ono Band in your list ;-)
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions