PHILADELPHIA: Sep.22 & 23 Reports,scans, links etc.

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Postby HeyJude » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:36 pm

That was awesome, Ding! Some major reliving is happening here right now as well :)
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:25 pm

HeyJude wrote:That was awesome, Ding! Some major reliving is happening here right now as well :)

Can't help agreeing (like so many times) whole-heartedly, HJ. Made me relive Paris 2004 :)
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:46 pm

Well, slap my head and call me shorty

Nice job....shorty. :roll: :lol:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:10 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Nice job....shorty. :roll: :lol:
....well, didn't mean to start rumors, but actually I'm slightly taller than Paul... :wink:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm taller than....erm...Blair Cunningham? :P
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:53 pm

These so called "review professionals" just kill me with how little they actually know and how unprofessional they are in their preparation.....I got this from Macca-News...obviously from a Philly reporter...

PS: This is akin to me writing a review on 50 cent. :lol:

From Wing-man to Quarryman, McCartney showed he still has fun in the biz by ripping through ''Jet'' before switching to the pre-Beatles band tune ''Oh, Yeah.'' HUH?

On a piano, he turned out new goodies ''Jenny Wren'' WHAT?

Just typical, isn't it? That's why I LOVE the fan feedback on this site and the fact that we have a place to read REAL reviews from the fans themselves. Thanks again, Big Mike!
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Heidi » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:03 am

I went to my very first ever Paul McCartney concert on 9/22 in Philly, driving in from MD. What an AWESOME show it was! I won't go into detail as you've probably read the other reviews, which were right on the mark! My husband and I had the good fortune to just be happening by the gate where a bunch of fans were waiting for him to arrive. We decided to stick around and about 20 minutes later, in drives 3 black Lexus SUVs with Paul in the middle one, window rolled down, and waving hello to the crowd. What class. I thought I would sit right there and cry, being less than 15 feet away from Paul McCartney. This night was the highlight of my life and I'll never forget it. He's going to be only 45 minutes away from where I live in October, and I'm seriously thinking about seeing if I can get there again. This man is a legend, an icon, but above all, first class all the way. Thank you Paul for giving me the night of my life, a time which I will never forget!!! :D :D :D
Heidi

Re: DJ and other Philly Topics

Postby kszeto » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:38 pm

mafru2 wrote:It's interesting to me that people don't realize that the DJ is playing Paul McCartney music. Personally I thought it went too long and I wasn't sure about the point of it. The fact that he was booed was just classic Philly and was part of the entertainment for me. The moment for George and John was perfect. The audience did what it felt it need to do.

The thing about new songs is that almost no act can get a big reaction to there latest releases. It's all about the familiarity and McCartney has so many songs that people know like the backs of there hands that it's hard to expect that many people to totally get into new stuff. For the most part the reaction was very good. I thought the weakest was Fine Line because the band needs to be let loose on that song. It could have been performed better.

Flying microphones aside, did anyone else get the impression that Paul was a little out of sorts in the beginning? It seemed to me that he did not settle in until about the 5 or 6th song. Maybe it's me that was out of sorts?

Great show overall. I was impressed at how well a song like Till There Was You came over live. If anything could be viewed as weak I'd say it was I'll Get You and Back in the USSR seemed tired to me. Eleanor Rigby, For No One and Too Many People were absolutely stunning to hear live. My only wish is that he'd do more Wings stuff like Helen Wheels, Venus and Mars etc. But that's nitpicking!

Wonderful site. My first time posting!!

Well, if you think no big act gets big reactions from their latest releases, you obviously haven't been to a Coldplay or Radiohead concert? :) Sorry, I don't mean to sound sarcastic....but really, you have to realize that most people who are going to see McCartney are NOT people like us who spends time reading messages and news about him.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear 1985 or Junior's Farm just like you all but you have to realize a concert's audience as a whole.
kszeto

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 am

theDingle wrote:Thanks, youse welcome 'reb, and I would like to thank myself on behalf of myself because my review helped me relive it too, lol...

CHOKE!! Dingadoo, I have a question regarding the opening of the show. The DJ, film, "3,2,1", and the red curtain have been very well documented. But, I have a question regarding what happens WHEN the curtain rises. I mean, is Paul already sitting at the piano to go right into MMT....or does the band walk out? I'm wondering to get an idea, and also if that is when Paul's piano rises from the floor, (hence the drop in the "hole.")
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby gforce » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:08 am

Kylestyle wrote:
The guy is trying to move forward. Playing Beatles tunes only is almost akin to being a sad nostalgia act. I don't mind Paul playing Beatles songs if he knows in his heart that HE wants to play them and the band can really get behind them and tear them up, for the sake of good musicianship. I don't like the idea of doing it to please the crowd and become a human jukebox. The majority of the people at these forums have voiced their disappointments regarding what they would like to hear in the setlists. Why won't he play No More Lonely Nights? Why not more Wings stuff? And why not focus the show mainly on C&C? Turn it into a Pink Floyd "The Wall" kind of situation...songs like How Kind of You etc have that Pink Floyd epic quality where the guitars could chime in for ages, developing a wall of sound and ambience. The gig itself would have a totally different experience to it - rather than just a Beatle hitfest, it would be more of a sonic experience - but I think one that would be more rewarding to a concert-goer in the long run.

Just some random thoughts, I know I have a different take to those that just want to hear oldie hits. I read on here someone said regarding 'She Is So Beautiful' - "oh I can understand why it wasn't on the album" - but in a concert situation I think it would be hypnotic - same goes with Growing Up Falling Down. The Beatlemaniacs would turn their nose up at it, but I'd like to see a more 'progressive' set list where every song shows Paul taking a chance, daring the audience to open their minds and embark on an unfamiliar journey

Gforce replys: I sympathize with you but your arguments ( as well as many other set list complainers) are very old. infact they go back to the 1989/90 World tour. Do you think McCartney could have filled up outdoor stadiums without adding many Beatle tracks? I don't. How is it that playing Beatles tracks is akin to a sad nostalgia act and playing Wings is not? They are both pretty old groups at this point are they not? While I agree with you that Wings fans (myself included)get shafted with this set list ( 24 Beatles, 8 solo Macca, and only 4 Wings tracks, all of which make every tour list) you have to keep in mind why this is so. The number 1 reason is MONEY $$$$$$$$$$$. Macca loves to make it and he loves to set arena records, he has said so himself. You can't fill up 20,000 seat areans across the country in 10 minutes flat at $250 a seat without playing at least 20 Beatle tracks. It just isn't going to happen. Some of the Beatle track are "new" to him. If he did Wings and solo only he would have to play much smaller venues or charge a lot less for a ticket. The reason so many on these forums are unhappy with the set list is because most are SUPER Macca or Wings fans. You have to realize that you, me and most of the people posting here are unfortunatly in the minority. The popularity and or the nostalgia of the Beatles is a phenomina like no other, and it will always top Wings or solo Macca by a huge margin. I too wish there were more Wings and Solo tracks but I realize we SUPER fans are victims of economics. Am I happy that this guy is still playing and singing at 63, and sounding awesome? Am I also a big Beatles fan? Am I going to see him at MSG Oct 1 6th row for my 5th Macca expierence? Am I excited in a big way about this set list? The answer is a resounding YEAH BABY!!!!! I'm taking whatever Macca gives us, at any price, ( and I realize I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, and very sympathetic towards those who can not.) because sadly he won't be able to do it some day soon. Maybe when he is 83 he will play theaters, and us Wings/solo fans will get our wish.
P.S.
I looked up the breakdown from the 1989/90 tour In support of FITD
-Beatles tracks 17
-Wings tracks 3
-solo tracks 8 - including 6 from the "new" album FITD
gforce

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours