FAVORITE BEATLE/MACCA BOOKS

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:09 am

I agree with Mike, and disagree with The Man, on MYFN. Paul isn't just trying to grab all the credit he can - he has acknowledged John's involvement on a number of his songs as well as the converse, so what are you complaining about?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:45 pm

Good point Liam---I fyou read it closely, he does give John credit where it's due. Well balanced book, IMHO

Straight to the center of everything right....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:46 am

Exactly. And I've only read it the once - last summer. I still haven't go over the you-know-what circles.

"Brigitte Bardot!"

"Yeah!"

And then . . .

"Winston Churchill!" cried John Lennon, putting everyone off.

What is this world coming to!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby kintyre » Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:38 pm

Yesterday (sic!) I received from book club the Hunter Davies biography from the 60s which has just been re-published in UK. Very plush edition with fab pix etc - but very interesting for new intro and 1985 postscript. Updates the kind of naivety evident in the original and some good stuff on Macca's attitudes to family etc which rings true to me.
Wingspan book in Autumn according to CDNOW.COM??
kintyre

Postby numberwriter » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:59 am

many years.. does seem er... balanced in favour of paul.. but he does say in the intro, this is the way i recall it, so obviously, he is aware many people do think of him as a reinventer. all i can say is, well, it was about paul, not john. i do think hes told a few porkies... but i think when john said he had wrote lots of the words to rigby he was dreaming as well. it just goes to show... they loved each others music. look at double fant, john had basically come right round to pop again... he was a pop writer, he didnt see it as beneath himself to spell out a good melody...he may of been very political, but c'mon, look at the songs.... pretty banal lyrically, and im glad for that. we dont want to be told off all day, we want fun too, and john revisited that place and done really good job. he said then he loved 'coming up' . i was surprised... but i suppose paul knew best how to push johns buttons.
numberwriter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:02 am

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but Paul does acknowledge John's involvement on some of his (Paul's) songs too.

As for John doing DF because he loved "Coming Up" - it's ironic, really! John felt that as long as Paul was doing stuff he (John) wasn't impressed with, he was quite happy to sit back and let him get on with it - but when Paul did something that got into his head, he couldn't ignore it and had to better him! The irony is that CU is far from Paul's best song!

But better it, John did. John's songs on Double Fantasy & Milk And Honey, when put together, make a far better album than Mac2.

Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:04 am

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but Paul does acknowledge John's involvement on some of his (Paul's) songs too.

As for John doing DF because he loved "Coming Up" - it's ironic, really! John felt that as long as Paul was doing stuff he (John) wasn't impressed with, he was quite happy to sit back and let him get on with it - but when Paul did something that got into his head, he couldn't ignore it and had to better him! The irony is that CU is far from Paul's best song!

But better it, John did. John's songs on Double Fantasy & Milk And Honey, when put together, make a far better album than Mac2.

Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:11 am

Sorry that came up twice - it was taking ages, and I wasn't sure it was going to go through . . .

Liam OSM

Postby jpm » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:29 am

Fav book would have to be my handy McCartney file,has loads of info up to 1984.[:D]
jpm

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions