Beatles in the "Psychadelic" era

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby shinestar » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:38 pm

When John sang, "The Dream is Over", he was singing to us Beatles fans, telling us the Beatles were over and we should all grow up and get on with our lives because he himself did not believe in anything anymore except for himself and Yoko. A very sad song, imho.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:53 pm

How are you Shinestar?? Nice to see you!!
Yes I agree with you, but looking better The Beatles themselves represented much of that period, don´t you think??

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 08/20/2002 10:47:23
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:38 am

quote:
yep, Plastic Ono Band is really realistic, although My Mammy's dead sounds such more psychedelic than Mr. Kite does. It's very interesting -- album starts with Mother -- a bit depressive, full of attack -- to himself, to his parents, to parents at all, to all the world, i think. But the last one is MMD -- so true that it can't be more...

We're breathing a lot, a lot of political nonsense in the air.

I think that "My Mummy's Dead" is a very effective song - it sounds musically like the sort of thing you'd sing in school, but of course with those lyrics . . .

POB is a very heart-on-sleeve album - John is putting his emotions on display a lot here. It's also a great album full-stop. Not psychedelic as such, but very honest, very raw.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby shinestar » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:02 am

Thank you, dsnito! I'm not sure what you're saying but if you're referring to TDIO, then yes, the Beatles were very influential then and that's part of what John was saying - the dream is over, get a life, the beatles are over.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shinestar » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:03 am

Well, Liam, POB is when John and Yoko were going through Primal Scream Therapy with Janov and I think that album reflected it. Don't you? :)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr. kite » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:26 am

Well if we consider John as one of the prime movers of the psychedelic era then there must be some truth in it if he said that the dream is already over. But, going back to my question if there is a Macca song (post-Beatles) that you consider as psychedelic, just let me know because I've been thinking of this these past few days.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:36 am

Possibly "Wild Life" - that's probably about as psychedelic as Paul got.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:53 am

Well, as for Paul... maybe "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:55 am

Good thought - I hadn't been thinking much about the stuff on Ram, but that's certainly a contender!

Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:46 pm

I could mention "Venus And Mars", but I think that's has more a "cosmic" things could say... Things like "Medicine Jar","Spirits Of Ancient Egypt", "Magneto and Titanium Man"(Marvel's stuffs), well, those are kinda mind "trip"... don't know if you're understanding.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions