Jeff Lynne/ELO

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:26 pm

2 of 3 wrote:
Code: Select all
IMO Lynne as a solo act is better than ELO

ELO is a solo act, Mr Dingle. :wink: :D

Erm, I don't speak in code green, you must be quoting someone else, lol

If that be as you say though, I'll rephrase: Lynne/phase 2 is better than ELO, by Gar'. :wink:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:35 pm

Yeah, how did I do that green thing anyway? :?:

I know what you mean though, I picked up Arm Chair Theater for 99cents in delete bin, and it's one of my favourite cd's. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:55 am

I don´t really like Jeff Lynne. In ELO he was trying to sound like the Beatles, no harm in that. Other groups did that, but the way they did it, I wasn´t into them.

I am sure he is a brilliant producer, songwriter and session-musician, but he isn´t my cup of tea. I didn´t like it when he was going to produce Free as a bird, and Real Love, but it didn´t sound to much of ELO luckily.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:59 am

EddieV wrote:I don´t really like Jeff Lynne. In ELO he was trying to sound like the Beatles, no harm in that. Other groups did that, but the way they did it, I wasn´t into them.

I am sure he is a brilliant producer, songwriter and session-musician, but he isn´t my cup of tea. I didn´t like it when he was going to produce Free as a bird, and Real Love, but it didn´t sound to much of ELO luckily.
I'm with you. Unfortunately, some of Flaming Pie DID sound like his signature, which tarnished it a bit for me.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 pm

No, I'm in the camp where in the 70's there was no Beatles, but Ringo, John, George and Paul put out their own music but tried radically not to sound like the Beatles.

I was pleased to hear ELO and all their Beatle like hooks openly admiting to their admiration of the Beatles. They paved the way really to sounding like the Beatles is cool. They of course had their own sound but the Beatle-ish hooks are throughout their music.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby TimR » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:12 pm

Elo has always been my second fave band after the beatles. They are certainly unapolagetic in their being influenced by the beatles. Mr. Blue sky is basically Pauls middle eight in A day in the Life taken a step further.Ringo used to joke to Jeff Lynne that ELO broke up because they ran out of Beatle riffs. But Jeff Lynne is an amazing songwriter and both Lennon and Macca have said they liked ELO so thats good enough for me.
TimR

Postby esto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:04 am

Few years ago saw ELO Part 2 live, it was terrible.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:00 pm

Jeff ever was a Beatle-follower, so that's why he did many Beatle-ish things, and he constantly has been seen getting 'round a Beatle(worked with all of the Lads, except John of course).
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions