Was John a great musican??

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Was John a great musican??

Postby EddieV » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:41 pm

To me John was only a medium musician. Nothing extra-ordinaire on guitar or piano.

Maybe his best achivement is the solos in Get Back.

I think his best talent was his unique voice. His singing is great in many songs. Come together, Sexy Sadie, Cry Baby Cry for example.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:20 pm

One of the best rhythm guitarists there ever was.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:09 pm

I think you can use John's own words...something about not being a great technical player but that he could make it "howl and moan". Then again, he may have been talking about Yukko. :lol:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:33 pm

As a musician Paul was obviously the best in the beatles. To me John was a very great lyricer and singer. His bass-line on TLAWR is awful and many of his seldom guitar solos are not world class "Run for you life". But as a rythm guitarist he was definately nice. I like his fast rythm on all my loving. I prefer definately John as a singer or a writer, that´s his best job. On piano he was just okay.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:32 pm

If you're going to judge a musican by his/her technical abilities, then none of the Beatles were that good.....but you really can't do that. There's really much, much more too greatness than technical ablility. George wasn't that good a lead guitarist(technically) but I'd choose his "sound" over almost anybody. Same with Ringo....not great, but I loved what he brought to a song. Paul was a brilliant at base...better at writing the parts though. So singling out John isn't really fair here...none of them were session musicans.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:45 pm

To me he was nothing but an arrogant hypocrite.
On the musical level there is no room for comparison between him and Paul. When singing about values of love and peace, it is so much more beautiful, to me, to use symbols, like in "Ebony and Ivory": "
Side by side on my piano, keyboard, Oh lords, why don't we"... than to use arrogant blown-up empty slogans like "imagine all the people living life in peace" and "Give peace a chance". Especialy when the person using them is anything but a peacmaker.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Ebony and Ivory": "
Side by side on my piano, keyboard, Oh lords, why don't we

Now I'm wondering how much Ivory is on PETAPAUL's keyboards? :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:10 pm

2 of 3 wrote:
Ebony and Ivory": "
Side by side on my piano, keyboard, Oh lords, why don't we

Now I'm wondering how much Ivory is on PETAPAUL's keyboards? :wink:

I'm sorry, you lost me. Can you explain? (I'm sort of sleepy because the time here is 3.00 AM. You are from Canada, I take it, so it must be seven hours earlier (too sleepy to calculate the exact hour.
By the way, I visited Toronto and the Niagra falls a few years ago and it was wonderful.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:59 pm

Hi :)

I was just pointing out that most of us go into things with the best of intentions, but it's really hard to cover all the bases. Sure, John had his faults...but don't we all? That was my point about Ebony and Ivory....Paul being a vegie and everything, but I'm sure he has some animal products somewhere he just hasn't thought about...even though he preaches the PETA line.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:35 am

2 of 3 wrote:Hi :)

I was just pointing out that most of us go into things with the best of intentions, but it's really hard to cover all the bases. Sure, John had his faults...but don't we all? That was my point about Ebony and Ivory....Paul being a vegie and everything, but I'm sure he has some animal products somewhere he just hasn't thought about...even though he preaches the PETA line.

You can't really compare having animal products while being a vegie, to going out of your way to insult people in public, like in this pathetic "How Do You Sleep" "song" (and that's to mention the very least), and then presenting yourself as a peacemaker who loves the whole man kind.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to JOHN