Beatle Paul vs Solo Paul

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:26 pm

Cologne girl wrote:
kapoo wrote:But he was by far the most musically gifted Beatles, I don't believe that to be a matter of opinion. And his music has always mirrored his life in his own gifted mind. Can you say genius? Everything he has ever done is unbelievable....

I'm sorry to disagree here, and God knows I'm one of the craziest Maccamaniacs on Planet Earth, but I think those who say that John was as much of a genius are not far off. We always have to bear in mind that he was assassinated at the onset of middle age, so he didn't have much of a chance to reflect the other stages in his life in his music, even though "Double Fantasy" can give us some idea of what it might have been like. Also it has often been said that he was less disciplined, more sloppy if you like, and more vulnerable as a person. He, perhaps more than Paul, seemed to need someone to push him.

You know a thing CG, sometimes I feel so sad when I think about John being still alive...so many stuffs he could have done all these years...sometimes I feel like having a lack of something when I think about solo Beatle's music...
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kapoo » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:38 am

Hi there, been a while since I checked this thread...
I know John was an amazing musical talent. His songs are some of the best ever. But to me, there is just something frighteningly GOOD about Paul's music. Form the writing, to the playing, to the self-produced recording. I really can't say anymore than that. Just frighteningly good. :?
kapoo

Postby Bluebird » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:53 am

kapoo wrote:Hi there, been a while since I checked this thread...
I know John was an amazing musical talent. His songs are some of the best ever. But to me, there is just something frighteningly GOOD about Paul's music. Form the writing, to the playing, to the self-produced recording. I really can't say anymore than that. Just frighteningly good. :?
You have a good point there. It IS screaming good his music, and he just can´t stop making music. Even in the jail in 80 he could stop playing. There are something magical through his career. Phoenomenon talent!
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:28 pm

I heard that when Paul left the Beatles, everyone was expecting super-paul.
when all along Paul as a member of the beatles was the only super-paul.

After the Beatles we've been graced with regular-paul, and semi-super-paul.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mi » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:00 am

Of course Paul in the 70's is a different person, in some ways, from Beatle Paul. We all grow up and change in the course of ten years. He has been through so much with the Beatles and their breakup, got married and had kids, so he must have been changed in many ways. But in his main characteristics, I think, he has not changed even to this day: His vitality, his energy, the fun he gets from singing and performing on stage. When I watch videoclips from the 70's and see him playing around, making faces at the camera, even playing with the kids ("I'm refering mostly to "Band On The Run" and "Silly Love songs") he reminds me so much of younger Paul with the Beatles. Even today, when he's performing on stage, it seems to me like he's feeling young again. Paul has always been young in spirit, and I suppose he always will be.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:58 am

I think this is a very academic discussion. I personally think that the Beatles catalogue is some if not the best effort in popular music and will be for generations to come. Still Paul as a soloartist and with Wings had always been one of my favourites. I don t really see the point in putting these two amazing carreers against each other. But obviously there must be a reason that Pauls concerts nowadays consits of mostly Beatles material. The reason must not necessarily be that the Beatles material is better than the soloefforts but obviously more wellknown and popular. Personally I would find it more interesting if he put in more of his solomaterial in the concerts. Not only the hits but obscure andgreat tracks like "love in song", "wanderlust", "little willow", hi,hi,hi, waterfalls , backseats of my car etc. Tracks that,in my humble opnion would be considred bonafide classis if they haf appeared on a Beatlesalbum. Even though I very much doubt that Paul ever will writw a song with the status of, say, Yesterday, Let it be, helter Skelter or Hey Jude. But on the other hand, noone elese will do that either.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Watch the "Coming Up" video

Postby jgkojak » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:51 am

Paul plays a lot of different characters, including a "beatle Paul"--

It is utterly uncanny, dressed in his Beatle gear and wearing a Beatle wig, how much he looks and ACTS EXACTLY like he did then-- he is obviously playing it up - but it is an interesting thing to see.
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Watch the "Coming Up" video

Postby Bluebird » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:22 pm

jgkojak wrote:Paul plays a lot of different characters, including a "beatle Paul"--
I agree. He has a lot of different attitudes. In the Beatles he was sort of cute, then in wings he was more hard and rocking, in the 80´s he was serious in his attitude, in the 90´s he was more like a family dad.
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 pm

Bluebird wrote:
jgkojak wrote:Paul plays a lot of different characters, including a "beatle Paul"--
I agree. He has a lot of different attitudes. In the Beatles he was sort of cute, then in wings he was more hard and rocking, in the 80´s he was serious in his attitude, in the 90´s he was more like a family dad.

I don't think it's strictly chronological, he (like many other interesting personalities) usually has several attitudes at the same time - in the Beatles, above all in the second half of the decade, he was also sort of "arty" and experimental and in Wings he was also definitely very cute :)
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:34 am

Cologne girl wrote:
Bluebird wrote:

I don't think it's strictly chronological, he (like many other interesting personalities) usually has several attitudes at the same time - in the Beatles, above all in the second half of the decade, he was also sort of "arty" and experimental and in Wings he was also definitely very cute :)
Yes right..you can also call him a family dad in Wings..
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle