Oh Darling/ Let Me Roll It....same song?

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:07 pm

nerktwin wrote:Prolific songwriters do tend to do that sometimes- they may not even notice it unless it is pointed out to them- I always thought the beginning of "my Love" was a reworked beginning of "Here There and Everywhere" and I also think the "Out of money, college spent" in "You Never Give Me Your Money" is a bit of a reworking of Paul's part in "A Day in the Life"- There is a bit on Lennon Anthology where John is singing "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" and then starts singing the lyrics to Jealous Guy, when you hear it, you realize they are pretty much the same tune, although you might not have made the connection if it wasn't pointed out.
Out of money, college spent, pay no future, see no rent... :lol: :lol:
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mi » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Given the fact that "Let Me Roll It" was a reaction to this horrid "How Do You Sleep", I have always admired Paul for reacting like that and not stooping to this level of insults and curses. However. if I were him, I'd have saved my breath: Instead of writing and singing an entire song, I would have said to John plainly off: If "The voices I make are muzak to your ears", nobody makes you listen to them. In other words: GET A LIFE!
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:10 pm

mi wrote:Given the fact that "Let Me Roll It" was a reaction to this horrid "How Do You Sleep"
Source? All that I've ever heard says that it was done in a Lennon-style vocal--that's it. Some have even called it a tribute to john's solo style. The words certainly don't support your thoughts.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:48 am

I can see how they're related - they both have a slow blues progression going on underneath. The instrumentation, vocal styles, riffs are quite different so they don't sound too similar on the surface.
down in the jungle, living in a tent....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dak » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:07 am

I read a Beatles book that pointed out that "Here There and Everywhere" and the middle eight/chorus part of "Sexy Sadie" have the same chord progression.

Here's another I just thought of, when I first heard "Vanilla Sky" at a Macca concert, the song "Biker Like An Icon" popped into my head.

I think that "Oh Darling" has alot more chords in it then "Let Me Roll It"
dak

Postby Bluebird » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:34 pm

Steve-o wrote:
mi wrote:Given the fact that "Let Me Roll It" was a reaction to this horrid "How Do You Sleep"
Source? All that I've ever heard says that it was done in a Lennon-style vocal--that's it. Some have even called it a tribute to john's solo style. The words certainly don't support your thoughts.
Exactly.. John´s style, but not a specific song for him..
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:17 pm

um.. it can't be the same song, cause Oh Darling beats LMRI to death with a rubber stick...
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:31 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:um.. it can't be the same song, cause Oh Darling beats LMRI to death with a rubber stick...
For sure OD is a greater song itself, but the riff in LMRI is a true killer....
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:00 am

Bluebird wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:um.. it can't be the same song, cause Oh Darling beats LMRI to death with a rubber stick...
For sure OD is a greater song itself, but the riff in LMRI is a true killer....
the riff is repeated all-too-often for my tastes. It reeks of repetiveness, lyrically/musically.
Which is very off-puting IMO...

This is like Rock doing it's version of Pop Rap, where the same 5 seconds loops over and over.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby magpie greg » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:03 am

How Do You Sleep was a response to Too Many People, but I have never read of any response to John's song and he certainly woulnt have waited so long and done it 2 years later you would think if he really wanted to respond.

And Let Me Roll it has no real similarity to Oh Darling. Not even close.

Also LMRI pulls OD's pants down. I dont like OD at all one of PM's weaker Beatle efforts.
magpie greg

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle