20 John questions!

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: 20 John questions!

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:44 am

Good idea, this John questionnaire :) . I'll try and answer as best I can:

1. Which John album is your favourite? Can't make up my mind between "Wall & Bridges" and "Double Fantasy".
2. Favourite opener on a John album? "Starting Over" (works lyric-wise as well)
3. Which John song do you most identify with your own life, or how you feel? At the moment, it is "Woman Is the Nigger of the World"- maybe in a couple of decades (if I get that far), it'll be "Watching the Wheels" :lol:
4. Do you skip the Yoko tracks on John's albums? Normally I do.
5. Do you cringe when you hear people cover Imagine? Depends if it is a good or a bad version. If it is a good one, I even appreciate people keeping the idea behind it "alive".
6. Do you think Yoko had a massive creative impact on John's music? Yes, because John's music was generally very much influenced by his personal life and during years Yoko was the most important "aspect" of his life. If the influence was for better or for worse, is a different question; I suppose, as usual, there's a bit of both.
7. Favourite solo John rocker? Definitely NEW YORK CITY - could listen to it for ages on end...
8. Favourite John ballad? It's between "Jealous Guy" and "Woman".
9. Which John songs do you think would be immensely improved if they were recorded in a different way? Can't think of any - I think John, at least on the records he released during his lifetime from "POB" onwards, dunno the pre-"POB" avant-garde stuff, never had the problem Macca occasionally suffers from, the unfinished-sounding arrangements. I don't remember if he did them himself or if he got some help, whatever it was, it was cleverly done. You note the difference when you listen to the posthumously released "Acoustic" album - at least to me it is for the most part proof that the original releases were good as they were (like if you listen to the Spice Girls to remind yourself why you like the Rolling Stones :lol: )
10. Describe John in one word: Human.
11. Have you heard 'The Wedding Album' or 'Life With The Lions'? Nope - these things are usually not my cup of tea.
12. Which years do you think John was at his songwriting peak? Extremely difficult to tell - outside the Beatles perhaps the "Walls & Bridges" period (was it 1974?), but maybe I go for this period because I like it best - sorry, really can't tell
13. Which Wings or solo Macca song(s) do you think would suit John's lead vocal? Can't think of any, not even "Let Me Roll It", which is supposed to be his most "Lennonesque" song. Again, it's my personal problem - I cringe at the idea of most Macca songs being done by John and vice versa; perhaps it's because I'm getting on :lol: I was actually surprised how well George's "Something" and "ATMP" sung by Macca and "I Saw Her..." sung by John worked. Maybe I don't have sufficient imagination for imagining these things...
14. Favourite line in a John song? There's so many; I'll take "sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun - if the sun don't come..." if that counts.
15. Have you ever worn a pair of Lennon-style 'granny glasses'? No, they wouldn't suit me.
16. As a loyal Paul fan, do you like the song "How Do You Sleep"? I don't particularly like it, not even music-wise.
17. Best vocal performance on a John song? Impossible for me to tell - his voice was great both on rockers and on ballads - perhaps my personal favourite might be his rendering of "Stand By Me" (if that counts despite being a cover)
18. What would John sound like if he was still recording today? Perhaps a bit like the Rolling Stones recording today (but better).
19. Your least favourite John song? John Sinclair - it's too repetittive. I suppose after listening to the song several times, they would set him (whoever and wherever he was) free just to make the song stop - the same way some people feel like giving some street musicians an awful amount of money just to make them stop. :lol:
20. Apart from Paul, who do you think was the most talented musician to work with John? If George doesn't count, David Bowie.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:29 pm

1. Which John album is your favourite? Imagine
2. Favourite opener on a John album? Starting Over
3. Which John song do you most identify with your own life, or how you feel? Nobody Loves You (When You're Down & Out)
4. Do you skip the Yoko tracks on John's albums? Yes -- Except for Yes, I'm Your Angel.
5. Do you cringe when you hear people cover Imagine? Yes, but I do that with most Beatle or solo covers.
6. Do you think Yoko had a massive creative impact on John's music? Yes, but it was in the wrong direction.
7. Favourite solo John rocker? Meat City
8. Favourite John ballad? Watching The Wheels
9. Which John songs do you think would be immensely improved if they were recorded in a different way? Most of his solo work had poor production. Mind Games especially.
10. Describe John in one word: Real
11. Have you heard 'The Wedding Album' or 'Life With The Lions'? No
12. Which years do you think John was at his songwriting peak? 1965-1968
13. Which Wings or solo Macca song(s) do you think would suit John's lead vocal? About You, So Glad To See You Here and To You
14. Favourite line in a John song? 'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'
15. Have you ever worn a pair of Lennon-style 'granny glasses'? Nope
16. As a loyal Paul fan, do you like the song "How Do You Sleep"? I think it's a great tune. They each took shots at each other. It's definitely interesting.
17. Best vocal performance on a John song? #9 Dream
18. What would John sound like if he was still recording today? The same, just unable to hit the occasional high note.
19. Your least favourite John song? Scared
20. Apart from Paul, who do you think was the most talented musician to work with John? George!
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeyJude » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:12 pm

1. Which John album is your favourite? Walls & Bridges
2. Favourite opener on a John album? Starting Over
3. Which John song do you most identify with your own life, or how you feel? How?
4. Do you skip the Yoko tracks on John's albums? Yes, there is like one song by her that I don't find thoroughly annoying
5. Do you cringe when you hear people cover Imagine? I have had the good fortune of not hearing too many covers of it, don't remember any special cases of falling off the chair hearing it or something; but when I heard Celine Dion's cover of Beautiful Boy on the radio, the DJ saying things like "who would've believed that one day someone would record a better version than Lennon's...", that was kinda too much
6. Do you think Yoko had a massive creative impact on John's music? Yes, I think she did, especially lyrically, and that's nto a bad thing, according to John the whole idea of Imagine came from Yoko, then there are songs like Woman Is The Nigger Of The World
7. Favourite solo John rocker? Nobody Told Me
8. Favourite John ballad? Nobody Loves You (When You're Down And Out)
9. Which John songs do you think would be immensely improved if they were recorded in a different way? The bare sound suited POB very well, and the rest is also Ok I guess, though sometimes I think it would be cool to have something by him that sounds like Abbey Road or RAM, but I wouldn't change anything.
10. Describe John in one word: Eggman (no, seriously I can't do that, it's just too hard)
11. Have you heard 'The Wedding Album' or 'Life With The Lions'? Nope
12. Which years do you think John was at his songwriting peak? That's hard again... First thought was that '65 and '68 stand out, but then I thought about what he wrote in other years, and I find that stuff just about as good. So, it's like '63-'80
13. Which Wings or solo Macca song(s) do you think would suit John's lead vocal? Let Me Roll It
14. Favourite line in a John song? Love is old, love is new, love is all, love is you
15. Have you ever worn a pair of Lennon-style 'granny glasses'? Yes! I was about 10 when I found a pair lying round the house that looked like those, I took them and ran around shouting "I'm John Lennon, I'm John Lennon!" :D I'd die for a pair of them orange oens today, too.
16. As a loyal Paul fan, do you like the song "How Do You Sleep"? I think it's Ok, I take it as I take any other John song, it's not a standout song, but def not bad either
17. Best vocal performance on a John song? Mother
18. What would John sound like if he was still recording today? He'd sound... great. Lyrics as cutting as ever, especially among today's circumstances... Music-wise I think he'd stick to good ole rock&roll
19. Your least favourite John song? Grow Old With Me, sounds very cheesy to me
20. Apart from Paul, who do you think was the most talented musician to work with John? Elton John
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Previous

Return to JOHN