::Abbey Road

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Bluebird » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:46 am

Berkeleyan wrote:Abbey Road: where top quality works of art are handled in a such a way that does not get any better so that slickness meets perfection.

What else can I say ? :D
When every talented beatle did all what they could, that´s the result. An incredible masterpiece. Never seen before in the musicbusiness.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Uncle Albert » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:12 pm

HeyJude wrote:
kylestyle wrote:
dsnito wrote:"I Want You" track sudden cut in its final is cool...

I so agree!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the reason for the sudden cut because the tape ran out?

Well, I don't know, I heard the original version was much much longer, and they just simply cut it somewhere, so i don't think it would've been because of the tape running out. Maybe the reason was they didn't have enough space on one side of the LP for the long version... But I'm really not sure about this, just guessing. :roll:

The tape did indeed run out,but not until 8'04"........the recording tape was deliberately cut at 7'44" for "dramatic" effect.

One point of interest that i don't think has been mentioned in this thread so far is that,almost to the end of the Abbey Road sessions,"I want You (She's So Heavy)" was planned as the closing track on side 2.
At a mixing session on August 20th 1969,the four Beatles decided to reverse the sides of "Abbey Road" so that what they originally intended to be side 2 was switched to side 1 and vice-versa.

So side 1 was originally planned to open with "Here Comes The Sun" and close with the "medley",whilst side 2 would open with "Come Together" and close with the abrupt ending to "I want You (She's So Heavy)".
Uncle Albert

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:31 am

Interesting scoop on Abbey Road, Uncle Albert !
Thank you for that.

As for "Her Majesty", if memory serves me well, Paul has said/written that the engineer tagged the tape right after the last chord of "Polythene Pam" by mistake and also screwed up the end chord by chopping it up. Anyway Paul was pleased with the final result and HM was kept on the album line up as the last song, even w/out being mentioned on the song list.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 pm

Berkeleyan wrote:even w/out being mentioned on the song list.
Surely you dont mean on the final version that was released to the public? It's plainly written on my 1969 vinyl copy
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 am

Steve-o wrote:
Surely you dont mean on the final version that was released to the public? It's plainly written on my 1969 vinyl copy

I stand corrected - had a momentary lapse of memory, I guess it's old age creeping in :? Man, you don't miss a thing on this Forum, do you :)
Berkeleyan

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 pm

Berkeleyan wrote:
Steve-o wrote:

I stand corrected - had a momentary lapse of memory, I guess it's old age creeping in :? Man, you don't miss a thing on this Forum, do you :)
LOL..hey..I'M the old man around here. :lol: I was actually wondering if you had a rare cover or something.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:18 am

Steve-o wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:
Steve-o wrote:

LOL..hey..I'M the old man around here. :lol: I was actually wondering if you had a rare cover or something.

I WISH !!

But back to the topic: I wonder if anyone has ever commented on Abbey Road's back cover: the fact that the "s" on the word "Beatles" on the wall is broken (due to a crack on the bricks).
Was it some foretelling or what !!??
Berkeleyan

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:34 am

1. Come Together 10
2. Something 10
3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 10
4. Oh! Darling 10
5. Octopus's Garden 10
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 10
7. Here Comes the Sun 10
8. Because 10
9. You Never Give Me Your Money 10
10. Sun King 10
11. Mean Mr. Mustard 10
12. Polythene Pam 10
13. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window 10
14. Golden Slumbers 10
15. Carry That Weight 10
16. End 10
17. Her Majesty 9

169/170 99/10

9.9/10

Notes:- Very Good Album. Revolver has it trumped though on lyrical-quality tracks.
Last edited by Lazarus_2 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:15 am

I prefer music over lyrics.
Berkeleyan

Postby BeatleChick81 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:55 pm

It was my first Beatles album, so it has a special place in my heart. It's not my favorite Beatle album, but, I do love it. I always list it as my third top fave because it's the one that made me a fan, but, I think that Revolver and Rubber Soul were much stronger works. Still, it's a great little album, and I dig it. :D Oh, had it not been for Maxwell's Silver Hammer (the song that made me a fan)... where would I be today??? Don't even want to think about it...
BeatleChick81

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums