George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby mr. kite » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:23 am

Include the chain saw in the preferred instruments of these metal players.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:34 pm

I don´t like h.m. in general, and its variations like speed-metal, thrash-metal, black-metal, death-metal...s***-metal or whatever else...
Although I pretty like Led Zeppelin, that some people classify´em as "heavy-metal" but I don´t think so, they just INSPIRED some bands to that styles and variations...
Zep is more electric blues, anything folk sometimes and R&R.
Deep Purple is another band that´s reckoned wrongly as h.m., when the fact is that they are hard-rockers(they once said that dislike´em when people say they´re a h.m. group)

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:44 pm

I don't like speed metal but I like hard rock. Sometimes you just have to jam.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby shinestar » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:10 am

me too, Scrod! And I love Eddie Van Halen's playing; in fact, James McC's playing reminds me of his - very stylish, you'd recognize it was him anywhere, anytime. You know, Paul's said the kid would have to face comparisons to him and for that reason might not want a music career. I think he first ought to change his name and do session work to make a name for himself.

Getting back to George, Eric Clapton has said he learned to play guitar from listening to George. And you know or may even recall there used to be signs in London saying "Clapton is God", so Paul and John never gave George the credit he so richly deserved. Paul taught him to play in the first place and I don't think he ever got past that.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:49 am

Man, I'm gonna get BLASTED for this. But I'm gonna say it anyway....Being a guitarist myself, I have not yet heard anything from James Mac that I would consider brilliant. He COULD be GREAT. But judging from what I've heard on album, it's nothing special. For instance, I always hear people make a big deal about his solo guitar "duel" with Paul on Heaven on a Sunday. It sounds nice, but it's definitely nothing great. Again, don't get me wrong, he could actually be an excellent guitarist. And maybe he will have more of an opportunity to shine in the future. But I'm just going on what I've heard so far.

Shine, as for Eric Clapton, Clapton was playing guitar long before the Beatles ever became big. He learned guitar listening to old blues records. Now, he may have learned *certain things* listening to George, but he definitely didn't learn how to play from George Harrison.

Plastic soul, man....plastic soul....
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:12 am

Ram---re: Clapton.. U R absolutely correct. I don't where people get this stuff. As far as James is concerned, (and Paul has said as much), he plays "a little bit". Most of the stuff on Pie and Rain is the same style stuff---it's background---high pitched stuff played very slowly--no fast fingering AT ALL. It couldn't be further from Van Halen or anyone else in that style for that matter. Again, like you, from what I've HEARD, James is OK, but it's nothing special, really. I bet Pops still can play rings around him, and he's average at best. Maybe he is awesome, but he certainly has not displayed that so far.

Something's open, it's my heart.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby shinestar » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:55 pm

Hey, I'm only quoting Clapton. And obviously we're not listening to the same tracks re James. Oh,and btw, Paul said that about "a little bit" several years ago.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:21 pm

Clapton must have been stoned during that interview. LOL

Plastic soul, man....plastic soul....
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:59 am

LOL I might have known you'd make some wiseass quip, Rammy. :)

I think the track I'm thinking of re James is #12 on Driving Rain but I'm not sure and the cd is at work.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:22 am

I believe #12 is Back in the Sunshine Again, right?

Be kind to rams...
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE