Beatles in the "Psychadelic" era

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby shinestar » Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:35 pm

I Need Love sounds more like a Paul song than a Beatles, to me. And I think Billy Joel is a better piano player than Elton, although Elton is certainly no slouch. Billy J also emulates Paul, so he has said.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:46 pm

You have good points, Shine. I agree.

Plastic soul, man....plastic soul....
Ram1

Postby young boy » Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:40 pm

so, í think´, i'll say some words too, hm, it's a bit hard after all this wonderful discussion on Elton, his music, wigs, throut surgery..... etc. Elton is the big man, and i think, his hits from last ´two decades are such good as from the first one... maybe they're too popsy sometimes, more sweet, but he still is perfect melodymaker. Circle of life, Can u feel the love tonight, now -- I want love, almoust all Made in England album... perfect -- musíc for adults, of course :))) but for teens and grandmothers as well :) he's Elton.

We're breathing a lot, a lot of political nonsense in the air.
young boy

Postby dsnito » Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:51 pm

quote:
quote:
GETTING BACK to the topic gentlemen, I think "Yellow Submarine"album could be considered a psychedelic album... or not?? The B-side of that album was all George Martin orchestrated tracks... so could that be a half-psychedelic???

The orchestral things are not psychedelic. They are beautiful pieces of incidental music.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.

So that´s what I said Liam, just the A-side is kinda psychedelic as "It´s All Too Much", "Only A Northern Song"(both Harrison´s)and "All You Need Is Love" released before as a single, the sound of those songs are kinda psychedelic, but as for the other songs, no much relation with...
"Hey Bulldog" is a rock song, "All Together Now" is nothing psychedelic, so looking better it neither can be reckoned as a half-psychedelic as I said.
Yeah and the GM´s orchestrated side is beautiful indeed.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:19 am

This is a bit off but is there any Macca song that you consider psychedelic, I mean post-Beatles Macca song?
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby KK (booted) » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:28 am

quote:
Visually, the movie is most certainly psychadelic, NITO...

Sooner or later we all will be there....

I have watched that movie many times while toking on the old water pipe!
KK (booted)

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:45 pm

quote:
This is a bit off but is there any Macca song that you consider psychedelic, I mean post-Beatles Macca song?

Psychedelic post-Beatles, Mr.Kite?? Hmm...hard to say, man!!
In the other hand, on the John's "Plastic Ono Band" has some anti-psychedelic themes I think... He said on that his famous phrase "The Dream Is Over", meant that all that "Flower Power"stuffs, acid-trips, community life, Eastern culture, all that are just that generation's illusions and the worth is the reality.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:52 pm

On "POB" we have many verses that shows the desillusion of that psychedelia period, also proper to Beatles break-up and all injures among the Lads, he wanted to exorcise himself of that situation and that period.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby young boy » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:53 pm

yep, Plastic Ono Band is really realistic, although My Mammy's dead sounds such more psychedelic than Mr. Kite does. It's very interesting -- album starts with Mother -- a bit depressive, full of attack -- to himself, to his parents, to parents at all, to all the world, i think. But the last one is MMD -- so true that it can't be more...

We're breathing a lot, a lot of political nonsense in the air.
young boy

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:56 pm

As for Paul, I didn't analyzed yet if there's anything psychedelic on his solo work... I'll check that out on 70/72 period, maybe there's something like... Good question, Mr.Kite!! It makes think about!!

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 08/19/2002 17:57:11
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions