What do you think of Keane?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

What do you think of Keane?

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:41 pm

I can't think of any other band that doesn't have a guitar player. They sound a bit like Travis though....what say you? :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:45 am

The Hopes And Fears album isn't too bad. It has some highlights on it, like the single Somewhere Only We Know, Everyone's Changing, and Bend and Break. She Has No Time reminds me of Jeff Buckley. My favourite song is "Can't Stop Now", with some magical original chord progressions - great to see a band finally play a song with some cool uplifting chord progressions happening.

But overall, the album reminds me of a watered-down Radiohead. The album lacks a certain "oomph"....maybe in live performance they provide that oomph required. I'd give the album 3 out of 5 stars, an ok album with some cool highlights, but not a flat-out classic like say Abbey Road or Sgt Pepper or Nevermind.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:14 pm

As I've stated before, I am generally a crotchety senile misanthrope regarding most current music. But I heard Somewhere Only We Know today on the radio, I really liked it, I just may check these guys out further. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby jorge harrison » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm

I am agree with the fact that a band without guitars is not a real band.
In respect of Keane, it´s a group with a good sound and clean! In this moment it´s some pure oxygen for the "ears".
jorge harrison

Re: What do you think of Keane?

Postby maccastheman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm

2 of 3 wrote:I can't think of any other band that doesn't have a guitar player. They sound a bit like Travis though....what say you? :)

Ben Folds Five used to brag about not having a guitar player, although the bass guitarist filled in a lot. Keane is alright. I'll have to listen to more of them, however.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:18 pm

i think that they are good...and i can't wait to see them at this years coachella fest :)
...How wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying......
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 am

They sounds like Aha covering Radiohead. :D
down in the jungle, living in a tent....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:57 pm

admiralvanderbilt wrote:They sounds like Aha covering Radiohead. :D
...that's almost not a bad description admv, lol. I wouldn't call the vocalist anything special, but I guess he is unique in some respect perhaps.

I recently got SOWK on a Keane 3-song promo sampler. I was listening to it again the other night and had this personal epiphany. I really think that is an excellent song. The other 2 songs on the sampler are rather lame though.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:56 pm

I really like that "Bend and Break" song now. Yes, they do sound like Travis/Coldplay, but I kind of like that. I like them a lot better than the Thrills. The Thrills sound way too melodramatic for my tastes.

Anyway, I'm going to see Keane in a few weeks when they come to town. Hopefully it will be a cool show. 8)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:23 pm

maccastheman wrote:I really like that "Bend and Break" song now. Yes, they do sound like Travis/Coldplay, but I kind of like that. I like them a lot better than the Thrills. The Thrills sound way too melodramatic for my tastes.

Anyway, I'm going to see Keane in a few weeks when they come to town. Hopefully it will be a cool show. 8)

I never reported on this show, but it was great. Tom Chaplin is a very unique front-man. They still remind me a lot of Travis (even live), but that's not a bad thing. Fran Healey had a lot of charisma on stage, and so did Tom Chaplin. Chaplin has a great voice, and he interacted with the crowd very well. The thing I like about them is that people were there to hear the music - it's not like Chaplin is a big sex-symbol or anything. (But like I said he's very charasmatic) I guess that's what I like the most about both Travis and Keane - with both bands it's about the songs. They both have beautiful songs.

All this being said, I should like Coldplay more than I do. For some reason I just don't like them as much...
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists