Walls & Bridges

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu May 08, 2003 5:46 pm

I couldn't imagine The Beatles or my music collection without John, Paul, George and Ringo among my CDs. Who's better is irrelevant if you like what you like.
DylansMrJones

Postby dsnito » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:16 am

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
Paul could write a song like GLASSES and John could write a song like THE NUTOPIAN INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM

I wouldn´t call those as "songs" , just momentary lapses of inspiration...LOL[:D]
But...Nutopian Anthem wasn´t a Yoko´s idea??? I wouldn´t be surprised...LOL[:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:00 pm

Meanwhile...back to WALLS AND BRIDGES.

When will they finally release a remastered version of this album? I want to get WALLS AND BRIDGES on CD, and I don't want to get the "old" version and then see a new remastered version of it appear.
DylansMrJones

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:23 pm

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
Meanwhile...back to WALLS AND BRIDGES.

When will they finally release a remastered version of this album? I want to get WALLS AND BRIDGES on CD, and I don't want to get the "old" version and then see a new remastered version of it appear.
You just KNOW, as soon you get the old one, the new one will be announced and then appear. ALWAYS happens to me...CDs and DVDs. I guess I should go buy the old W & B --- then it will happen, lol. I burned my copy off of my vinyl.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:04 pm

Walls and Bridges is my favorite album by John. He covers a lot of ground beautifully lyrics-wise, he's usually at his most melodic as a solo artist and his sidemen play great - I think the bass and keyboard work stand out throughout it. His voice conveys a broad range of emotions - positive and negative vibes beautifully expressed.
What else can I say ? Love Whatever Gets You Thru'the Night, Number 9 Dream, Bless You, Scared, Going Down on Love, Old Dirt Road...
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby kened » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:55 pm

This was the first John Lennon Album I purchased. I was just getting in The Beatles after discovering Paul McCartney a year before and thought I needed a John Lennon Album. I looked through the Albums and picked Walls and Bridges. I remember there was talk that John would be coming out of retirement and wanted to understand what his solo material was like. I was expecting more of a rock album because my brother had the Cold Turkey 45 and that was all I knew.
Still my favorite Album and I hope that it soon gets the remastering that they’ve done with Mind Games and Imagine soon. Anyone heard if there will be more remixed and remastered JL CDs coming soon?
kened

Postby dsnito » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:06 am

Almost same as you Kened, BOTR and Walls and Bridges were the initial albums that REALLY got me to ALL The Beatles stuffs, though I had already some old Beatles albums...I was 12 I think...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 pm

Listening to Macca Radio, I've just rediscovered what a great album "Walls & Bridges" is. I must confess I don't always recall what albums the songs are off, but whenever I really enjoyed a song played on the radio - unless it was off "Double Fantasy" or one of the really well-known ones - it turned out to be off "Walls & Bridges". This album is definitely number 2 in my personal list of favourite John albums (after "Double Fantasy") and it would definitely be high up in my list of favourite albums of all times if I ever had time to make one.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby nerktwin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:54 pm

From what I understand, John wrote most of the lyrics to the Mind Games album while he was recording it, so that is why it may seem like that.

I actually like "Surprise, Surprise" on W&B and I LOVE the "Whatever Gets You through the Night" home demo version on Lennon Anthology much better than the album version. I'm not crazy about #9 Dream, I think it is unfocused.

I hate the Paul/John "who did better solo?" thing but I do think John is getting rammed here- both wrote great songs separate and both seemed to go down in quality without the other- the advice of the other really did make their songs better- of course, there are exceptions, but I do not agree that Paul wipes the floor with John in the 70's at all! If you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums issue, John has two albums in the TOP 100, Paul's first album BOTR is in the 400's- the "greatest song" issue, "Imagine" is number 3- how can you just dismiss something like that? And for those that say it is because John was murdered, I have a 1977 Critics "greatest albums" list that has the "Imagine" album in the 20's while the first other solo Beatle album comes in the 70's with George's ATMP- so you can't say it's completely because he was murdered since those albums were respected even before.

But that's just polls and stuff, the truth is they both did great stuff- they shouldn't really be compared like that- I don't understand why everytime Paul's solo career is being discussed, John's solo career is thrown up to him and vice versa, you can make a case either way with selected info- it's true, they don't really appeal to the same demographic, so they shouldn't be compared- John once said that he'd rather have POB, "Ram" ATMP, and Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" single than a new group album because people were getting much more- maybe alot don't agree with that, but it's what we got so that's that-
nerktwin

Postby Cologne girl » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:27 pm

nerktwin wrote:it's true, they don't really appeal to the same demographic, so they shouldn't be compared- John once said that he'd rather have POB, "Ram" ATMP, and Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" single than a new group album because people were getting much more- maybe alot don't agree with that, but it's what we got so that's that-

Do you mean by "the same demographic", people of a similar social background? I don't know to what extent social class may play a role here, but fact is that there are lots and lots of fans who like them both (including yours truly) - plenty of them can be found here and also at the John Lennon forum. On the whole, John gets favourable "treatment" here and Paul, favourable treatment at the John Lennon forum. Unfortunately, there seems to be a weird breed of - mainly, as it appears - "diehard" and "elitist" JL fans who think they invented Good Taste and don't limit themselves to saying they prefer John's songs to Macca's (which would be a perfectly legitimate statement), but who say (or vociferate) that John was the only talented guy and Macca didn't release anything but utter crap. But these, I think, are the fewest.

The selection made by John is very interesting. I might replace "POB" by "Walls & Bridges" and "Ram" by "BOTR", and this collection would surely measure up to anything they might have released as a group then :) It would be my "White Album" of the 70s...
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN