What do you think of Sean Lennon's music?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

What do you think of Sean Lennon's music?

Postby kylestyle » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:43 pm

This is a question I'm not sure if it has been discussed much around here.

A few years back, I got Sean's "Into The Sun" cd. I absolutely LOVE 2 tracks on that album - "Mystery Juice" and "Home". Both songs feature some lo-fi grunge guitars, but mixed with drift-away beautiful Beach Boys-style melodies. There are some other standouts on there as well, and I have a fond respect for Sean as a musician.

The first time I heard a Sean recording was a cover he did of Dear Prudence, wow he must have still been in his mid-teens as he's pretty much the same age as me. I think Yoko was heavily involved in that recording, but I thought it was still a very cool version.

So is there anyone else out there who has listened to Sean's music? I recall he toured New Zealand in 1999 as part of the Big Day Out rock festival.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:42 pm

I've never heard any of Sean's or Julian's music :cry:
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:04 am

JimmyMcCullochFan wrote:I've never heard any of Sean's or Julian's music :cry:

You'd be surprised just how similar Julian sounds like his dad. Try downloading some of his biggest hits, like Valotte and Too Late For Goodbyes. One of my favourite Julian tracks was a more recent song, I Don't Wanna Know, which sounds like it could have easily come from A Hard Days Night. It's all quality stuff. :)
kylestyle

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:47 am

alright sounds good, thanks Kyle :) I'm downloading those 3 songs right now
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 am

JimmyMcCullochFan wrote:alright sounds good, thanks Kyle :) I'm downloading those 3 songs right now

Lemme know what you think...I wonder if Julian is still working on his music?
kylestyle

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:09 am

Here's my ten cents' contribution: I have Sean's album from the late 90's, which I saw at a London store by pure chance and took it. I have not played it in years. I do recall I gave it a mixed review so to speak - good tracks and plain fillers in it. The album title is "into the sun" if I'm not mistaken.
I know Sean likes "Bossa Nova", a jazzy kind of Brazilian pop music whose heyday were the 60's. Few people handle it well these days. One of them is Bebel Gilberto, Joao Gilberto's daughter. For whoever it may concern, Joao is considered Bossa Nova's pioneer/father. Bebel is very, very popular in the European circuit of jazz music. I listened to her in Amsterdam last September.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby macca-fanna » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:55 am

I love Jules's music but Sean's souds a bit strange to my ears...
Yes, their voices are really like John's (though imo Julian's more) but Sean has more this a bit asian or dunnowhat sound which I don't like.

btw: I read somewhere that Julian will release a new album this year. is that right? would be cool!)
XxXxXxXxXxXveganXxXstraightXedgeXxXxXxXxXxX
macca-fanna
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Laura » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:19 pm

I have Seans cd but don't play it much
I also have Julians cds
Laura
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:37 am

I bought Into the Sun when it came out, listened to it once or twice, then kind of forgot about it. It's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't knock me out or anything. It sort of reminded me of REM's album Up. It seemed like there was so much of that around at the time - modern-sounding Brian Wilson updates. (Rufus Wainwright, etc. - although Rufus is much more melodramatic) Ironically, it sounded more Macca-ish than Lennon-ish.
What I don't understand is the small cult following that he's already developed. I have a lot of friends that can't wait for the follow-up, which is supposed to be out later this year.
Did anybody see the pic of him and Yoko in the latest edition of Rolling Stone? The top hat was a little, well, over the top. (pardon the pun) :wink:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:43 am

I really like Julian's "Too Late For Goodbye" Excellent song!
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions