Maccobain

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby kylestyle » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:38 pm

kapoo wrote:Dudes, I really loved Nirvana and Kurt's music. His lyrics were so cool. I could write on this thread all day. But I won't...

Me too, man. Kurt's my fav guitar player and second favourite songwriter of all time (next to our own MACCA). His songs will stick with me forever.

I agree, it's all speculation exactly what he took and how much but yeah it's pretty obvious he got fried up once the fame hit. Interesting you mention the Teen Spirit performance. I saw an interview where he talked about the Teen Spirit guitar solo and couldn't remember where to stick his fingers, just completely forgot the notes...even though there's only a handful of notes required to play that solo. Maybe he just got to the point where he didn't give a sh1t with that song because it represented his exposure to the wide mass market world like an albatross around his neck. I got the feeling he wanted to 'let go' of the song. Eventually he let go of everything..
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Maestri09 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:36 am

On the other side of the rock world, the Teen Spirit solo is notorious for being Juvenile and "amateurish"--especially compared to the speed and complexity of other song solos of that period. In concerts Kurt Cobain would mess up his solos on "purpose", or would parody other musicians' solos on the bill--and effectively mess up "on purpose". I hope it wasn't to hide his ineptitude and pretend to look cool.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:38 am

Maestri09 wrote:On the other side of the rock world, the Teen Spirit solo is notorious for being Juvenile and "amateurish"--especially compared to the speed and complexity of other song solos of that period. In concerts Kurt Cobain would mess up his solos on "purpose", or would parody other musicians' solos on the bill--and effectively mess up "on purpose". I hope it wasn't to hide his ineptitude and pretend to look cool.

He possibly did. I'm sure he didn't believe in that "rock god" thing and the whole cult of personality that surrounds rock icons. He utterly detested being regarded as one himself. So if you're in a position to rebel against it and make a statement out of it in a public concert, then cool! If I was at a Nirvana concert and he deliberately messed up solos and bits of other people's songs, then cool, it's punky, it shows you don't take yourself too seriously.

Just like Macca pretending to forget the words in You Never Give Me Your Money in the Back in the US tour, sure we would all prefer him to do it straight down the line, but it's also cool if they can 'relinquish the reins' and step outside of that square they call a "rock star" for a god damn second and say "hey, I am human, I'm just like you dudes in the front row". :)
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Mini » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:35 am

I actually think John was closer to Cobain than Paul. I read somewhere that POB made a big impression on Cobain. Maybe as far as being brilliant song writers goes there is a mutual respect but Paul and Cobain are very different in musical styles.

I think Paul would be more like Travis, great pop songs.
Mini

Postby HeyJude » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Mini wrote:I think Paul would be more like Travis, great pop songs.

Hasn't he written a few songs for them? I remember reading something like that once (I've no idea if it's true or if I've really read it, though :D ).
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:28 pm

I think that Kurt Cobain couldn´t handle the pressure of being an idol and have to live up to certain standards. I also think he was run out songs which could impress the world!!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:55 pm

There's a great song by Neil Young called Sleeps With Angels that every Cobain fan should hear....actually the whole album is brilliant.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:08 pm

2 of 3 wrote:There's a great song by Neil Young called Sleeps With Angels that every Cobain fan should hear....actually the whole album is brilliant.

Yes it is brilliant. Neil Young was very affected by Kurts death
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:42 pm

Yeah, some people have different views on things. I am a happy person and I'm in debt up to my ears. I have never had thoughts of ending my life, nor if I was rich, would I be more happy than I am now. In fact, if I was rich, I think I would end up less happy than I am now. Cobain was sick. He had a rotten childhood and some serious stomach problems. No amount of wealth could've prevented him from killing himself.

Listen to Richard Cory by Simon & Garfunkel Gastro. It makes sense!
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:11 am

cobain came from a place few of us ever go...his voice was that of real, emotional, and i guess, physical pain. anybody, with any kind of human soul, listening to him sing, watching him play, could not possibly realize that they were watching a real, live human being flame out. i was not in the least bit surprised when the end came, only terribley saddend. it seems there were so many around him who either knew he was in freefall, or desperately looked the other way. to be so idiotic as to not comprehend something as simple as depression and it's crushing weight on the unprepared or untreated is someone who really doesn't have anything but superficiality, and a greatly misplaced sense of superiority as their own personality. steve-o was right, all those years ago, and anyone who doesn't get that, needs a severe case of humility instilled.
having said that, knowing all that is deep in the past, i, too, remember reading the quote by cobain in which he said paul 'embarrassed' him...at the time i thought it lame...and still do. curt could write some tunes, and he played/sang like the devil was after him..but, in the end, he helped dig the hole he was in, heck...he bought the dang shovel and learnd to use it well.
there is no connection, here, between these two, except that both were ( in P.M.'s case - 'is') artists and craftsmen in their trade.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle