::Anthology 1

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:22 am

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
I still think one should always start at the beginning....to hear them in order is the only way. To hear Abbey Road before PPM will not let the listener realize the growth that occured as writers, singers and musicians.

Totally WAD.
Ram1

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:56 am

Great album but too may speech than songs. Good live records
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:52 pm

I have a criticism of Free As A Bird - it's too friggin' SLOOOW! When they did the final mix, Jeff Lynne should have loaded the track into the recording software of his choice and digitally sped the thing up so it's a bit faster but remains in the same pitch. Otherwise, it sounds like it's dragging the chain, a real dirge which is a shame as I think it's a great song and the solo Beatles added some wonderful parts to John's composition.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:05 am

kylestyle wrote:I have a criticism of Free As A Bird - it's too friggin' SLOOOW! When they did the final mix, Jeff Lynne should have loaded the track into the recording software of his choice and digitally sped the thing up so it's a bit faster but remains in the same pitch. Otherwise, it sounds like it's dragging the chain, a real dirge which is a shame as I think it's a great song and the solo Beatles added some wonderful parts to John's composition.

Wonderful George's solo was added on...very George solo. 8)
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:39 pm

kylestyle wrote:I have a criticism of Free As A Bird - it's too friggin' SLOOOW! When they did the final mix, Jeff Lynne should have loaded the track into the recording software of his choice and digitally sped the thing up so it's a bit faster but remains in the same pitch. Otherwise, it sounds like it's dragging the chain, a real dirge which is a shame as I think it's a great song and the solo Beatles added some wonderful parts to John's composition.

I hear what you're saying k-man, but nah, I liker as she is. I've never been a stoner, but its dragging tempo feels kind of retro-stoney, which IMO was one of Lennon's signature sounds, similar to Strawberry Fields Forever.

WAD though, George's playing was bang on, great, great, JUST GREAT! 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby dsnito » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:27 pm

theDingle wrote:

I hear what you're saying k-man, but nah, I liker as she is. I've never been a stoner, but its dragging tempo feels kind of retro-stoney, which IMO was one of Lennon's signature sounds, similar to Strawberry Fields Forever.

WAD though, George's playing was bang on, great, great, JUST GREAT! 8)

Gotta remmember that George Martin turned Strawberry Fields a bit slower than the original recording, intentionally, must say...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:43 pm

Well I think if it was "the early days", I think Sir George Martin would have told the boys "this is too slow, we need to beef this up a bit to make it a hit", like they did with "Please Please Me", originally written as a Roy Orbisonish ballady thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything they did with FAAB, the guitar solos, the vocals, everything. Just the tempo is a tab too slow. Ahhh I think I will get my own computer software onto the job and make the required adjustments myself! :twisted:
kylestyle

Postby kylestyle » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:27 pm

Okay, well to illustrate what I mean, I have "remixed" Free As A Bird". Well remix is perhaps the wrong word, but I have changed the tempo to what I would consider a more Beatley pace, more akin to say Hello Goodbye or Lady Madonna - you know, that classic Beatles midpace tempo. I increased the tempo of Free As A Bird by 30% and you can hear the result at my little music page at http://oshquiz.tripod.com/
kylestyle

Postby dsnito » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:05 am

kylestyle wrote:Okay, well to illustrate what I mean, I have "remixed" Free As A Bird". Well remix is perhaps the wrong word, but I have changed the tempo to what I would consider a more Beatley pace, more akin to say Hello Goodbye or Lady Madonna - you know, that classic Beatles midpace tempo. I increased the tempo of Free As A Bird by 30% and you can hear the result at my little music page at http://oshquiz.tripod.com/

Good job, George Martin II!!! :lol:
Yeah, not bad indeed...it turned more lively I think. Why don't you did this to the entire song?? I'd want to hear George's faster guitar solo.
Who's the acoustic guitarist on "Little Lamb Dragonfly"?? Nice job!! :)
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:52 am

Hey Folks, I think that The Beatles should have used some of the start-versions of Eight days a week in this version on Anthology 1. Don´t you think??
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums