::Magical Mystery Tour

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Bluebird » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:18 pm

I can´t choose either which of these four songs are best, but "Hello goodbye" was an incredible hit, 7 weeks on no.1 , right? So I think that song is the right one of those.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:16 pm

Ram1 wrote:All four are absolutely superb. But if any one of these is considered a "masterpiece", I would definitely have to say Walrus. That song is just, well, phenomenal beyond phenomenal IMHO.

Yes, SIR, well said!!
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:28 pm

Ram1 wrote:Yes, Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane were both singles. I can't really say they are "better" than Walrus/SFF or vice versa. All four are absolutely superb. But if any one of these is considered a "masterpiece", I would definitely have to say Walrus. That song is just, well, phenomenal beyond phenomenal IMHO. Yes, the lyrics are awesome, but remember John also wrote it while on acid.

Also agreed on this point, I think that the strength of "Walrus" is on the lyrics(with or without acid) but "Penny Lane"´s strong point is on the melody, beautiful melody..."Penny Lane" IS in my ears and in my MIND...EVER!!! :D 8)
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kapoo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:54 pm

I think this singles arguement is really interesting, and it really goes back to the way I view Paul and John's differing abilities, obviously not everyone will agree... but I see Paul as just a musical hit machine. He creates hit after hit. In a rash generalizaton, John is more the artist. Very generally speaking, his music ends up being a work of art, most of the time slightly more out of the norm/mainstream. Some think that makes it more interesting than Paul's to true music lovers. But really, they are both great artists in their own ways. I always felt Paul was more the music guy, John just the mad artist genious who was also extremely gifted in the art of music. I dunno, JMO.

By the way, does anyone else notice the similarities music wise between MMT's Flying, McCartney 1's HotAsSun, and the msuic to TheBalladOfJohn&Yoko? Because really, a couple variations and they are basically the same song. All base on what was one Flying. I think that's just a cool jam. okbye :D
kapoo

Postby HeyJude » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:28 pm

Well, I wouldn't want to comment on your opinion about Paul being the hit factory and John the artist, cos basicaly a lot of people think this and it just annoys me to hell...
I don't think Hot As Sun could be based on Flying, since it was composed before Beatle-time.
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:27 pm

HeyJude wrote:Well, I wouldn't want to comment on your opinion about Paul being the hit factory and John the artist, cos basicaly a lot of people think this and it just annoys me to hell...
I so AGREE I can BE on that comment!!! One of my scholmates is Lennon/Harrison fan and he annoys me to hell.. Pauls is more than a hit factory..
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kapoo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:14 pm

HeyJude & Bluebird, don't get me wrong, I think Paul was the musical mastermind/backbone in the Beatles since day 1. I think that he is more a musical genius than any of the other Beatles, hense his unbelievable string of hits. I've said this before on this site, but I believe Paul's contributions to John's songs were much greater than John's to Pauls. Paul is the man when it comes to music, which is why I believe John hooked up with him in the early days. He saw it a mile away, credit to Johns ability. I'm just saying John is a different kind of genius. His is more broad in a creative sense, you know? I think he could have done any type of art and had it been interesting as all hell. His take on life, politics, humor, etc. was one of a kind, and that came through in anything he did. But I prefer Paul's music to almost anyones, certainly to any of the other Beatles. If it wasn't for Paul, the Beatles wouldn't have had the success they did, that's just my opinion on that... John did have a killer voice though....

I stand corrected on Flying/Hot As Sun. Didn't know Hot As Sun was written so early on. But for anyone who plays guitar, they are similar, and Hot As Sun is basically a slowed down Ballad Of John&Yoko too. All great songs, all very Paul... I mean, there's a reason John had Paul work with him on the Ballad. All those guitar licks, marracca's, bass line, perfection! I love that song. That was the two of them at their rock n roll best!
kapoo

Postby HeyJude » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:43 pm

Kapoo, it's ok I see your point, guess I've been a bit harsh, sorry. This point of view only bugs me because it seems like that most of the older Beatles fans in my country think that "Paul's the musical hit machine, John is the artist" and from this comes that common view round here (especially about their solo carreers) that what Holy John did was all great and sooo very artistic, while Pauley was just the damn musical talent who had cute schmaltzy nonsense hits. Now THAT annyos me really. (Sorry for being off-topic :roll: )
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:11 pm

At first, it is a question about taste and pleasure. I think it is very obvious that paul was the melody talent and John was more political in his lyrics. But it´s not true that Paul only was Mr. Nice guy who wrote ballads and looked cute, cause he has wrote one of the most rocking beatles songs like ( Helter skelter, can´t buy me love, I´m down, Back in the ussr, while he also has wrote the groups most harmony songs like ( Hey Jude, Yesterday, Michelle...., so for me to see, he´s a step better musician than his partner especially during the magical mystery tour session. I just can´t see when people say that he just was the mr. nice guy who sang yesterday. WAD!
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:47 pm

I agree with Jude and Bluebird - I'm also quite pissed off at these kind of comments. The funny thing is that Paul's Beatle songs are getting quite a lot of airplay here lately, I think even more than John's, and if they were all rubbish they certainly wouldn't. "Hit factory" hits without any originality to them don't usually pass the test of time - they're usually hits in their day and then quickly forgotten.

Anyhow, I think they were both extremely versatile - John also created rock songs and some of the best ballads ever written in the history of popular music, the ones especially standing out for me being his two "solo" ballads "Jealous Guy" and "Woman".
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums