::Magical Mystery Tour

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Bluebird » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:00 pm

dsnito wrote:
kylestyle wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:I 'm not too keen on "Hello Goodbye" and I adore the lyrics to "All You Need is Love". I don't care for "Blue Jay Way", it's probably one George's worst tunes.

Disagree with this. Hello Goodbye is a classic (and so well done live by Macca right now),and Blue Jay Way is a hauntingly great song. The flanging effects suit it so well too. Siouxsie and the Banshees did a great version of this song on their 2002 Seven Year Itch tour.

My favourite song on Magical Mystery Tour is Baby You're a Rich Man...i give this album 9.5 out of 10, sure it's all cobbled together from various singles and EP's but the content itself is wall-to-wall The Beatles at their psychedelic best!

"Hello Goodbye" has simple lyrics but nice melodic lines. I love George's guitar accompaniment on that...brings me good memories since I heard that for the first time when I was just a child...
Hahaha Berks... :lol: I bet that when you hear "Blue Jay Way", when George start to sing "Please Don't Be Long, Please Don't You Be Very Long, 'cos I May Be Asleep..." but you end up to sleep deeply... :lol: I don't think that's too bad for the enigmatic atmosphere of that song but I admit that's a bit boring... :lol: :lol:
I´m very satisfied with Magical mystery tour but i think that John relaxed too much during that period. Magical mystery tour helps me to say that 1967 is my absolutely fave year in their career..
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:06 pm

Bluebird wrote:I´m very satisfied with Magical mystery tour but i think that John relaxed too much during that period. Magical mystery tour helps me to say that 1967 is my absolutely fave year in their career..

I guess you meant John "relaxed" for his several acid-trips that time...
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:46 pm

EMB wrote:Side 1: soundtrack music, "Walrus" the acclaimed masterpiece. Side 2: the single sides, hard to beat "Strawberry Fields"....

ED 8)

I said in the LIB thread that Across the Universe is perhaps my favorite Lennon song of all time. I forgot about Walrus. Definitely a masterpiece, WAD.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:50 pm

EMB wrote:Side 1: soundtrack music, "Walrus" the acclaimed masterpiece. Side 2: the single sides, hard to beat "Strawberry Fields"....

ED 8)

I agree, but "Penny Lane" is also a masterpiece to me...that trumpet sound is awesome!!! 8)
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:39 pm

dsnito wrote:

ED 8)

I agree, but "Penny Lane" is also a masterpiece to me...that trumpet sound is awesome!!! 8)

WAD, Nito.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:27 pm

Ram1 wrote:
dsnito wrote:

ED 8)

WAD, Nito.

Not mentioned the lyrics, very inspired and even leads you to that place, so nostalgic to Paul...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:00 pm

I think both Hello goodbye and Penny lane is well-derserved a-sides instead of IATW and SFF.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:30 pm

Bluebird wrote:I think both Hello goodbye and Penny lane is well-derserved a-sides instead of IATW and SFF.

That's ... debatable, at least in the case of "I Am the Walrus", which is a masterpiece of originality, both the words and the music and the promo vid; anyhow, weren't they double A-sided singles? But I do agree that "Penny Lane" ROCKS; I will always remember how it was "Penny Lane" which really got us off our seats and singing and dancing, sort of "breaking the ice", at the Paris concert this year (at least in the part of the stadium where I was seated).
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:43 pm

Yes, Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane were both singles. I can't really say they are "better" than Walrus/SFF or vice versa. All four are absolutely superb. But if any one of these is considered a "masterpiece", I would definitely have to say Walrus. That song is just, well, phenomenal beyond phenomenal IMHO. Yes, the lyrics are awesome, but remember John also wrote it while on acid.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums