Beatles in the "Psychadelic" era

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby mr. kite » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:12 pm

quote:
Best psychedlic song....Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite. End of discussion.

I always knew it, hahahaha.

Forgot to include in my list, What's the New Mary Jane?

I believe Rubber Soul and Revolver were two big steps to the Psychedelic period.

Hey King, would you want me to end the discussion already, hehehe?
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:44 pm

quote:Psychedelic refers to LSD and taking thereof; music evolved from musicians doing that.

Shine, true. Psychedelia was really born out of LSD. But, The Beatles, and other musicians, could and still write psychedelic songs without LSD or any drug influence.

Somebody help me, I'm having a Macca Attack!!!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:05 am

quote:
I just heard Lucy In The Sky covered by Elton John. He takes away every bit of psychedelia that makes the Beatles' version so interesting, and turns it into just another popsong. Very mediocre effort.

I disagree completely! Elton's version gives it a much better, creepier atmosphere.

Moreover, Lennon himself preferred Elton's version to the original!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:56 am

Liam - I also think Elton´s version awesome, as John himself cooperated on the song doing the "reggae" part, playing rythm guitar and also doing the backing vocals.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:01 am

Sorry boys, but I think the orig shreds the remake. It was very nice at the time, but hindsight tells me it's pompous and overblown, just like alot of stuff from the mid-70's. I love Elton, but that was not his best moment. And he had some great ones in the early to mid-70's. Give me John singing it!! As for JL's comment, he was probably toasted when he said it---was in the middle of his "lost weekend". Liam--you just like it because of all the cool keyboards LOL

Sooner or later we all will be there....

Edited by - stevew628 on 08/16/2002 09:01:46
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:22 am

I don't like the song in general, actually, but I sort of like Elton's take on it. I like it for what it is - and this is the only time I've ever said I preferred a cover of a Beatles song to the original. With the possible exception of Tom Jones doing She's A Woman at the Linda tribute.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:26 am

Let me get this straight---you like the TJ cover better than Macca'sslammin' original? Or have I got that one bass-akwards?

Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:32 am

No, I am not 100% sure on that. I said "possible" exception. I only heard the TJ version once, and at the time, I liked it better than the original. At the time, as well, that style of Paul's singing had not grown on me as it has now. So the honest answer is, I don't know.

Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:34 am

Give the orig a lsiten again..and play it loud--listen to the vocals---mr nanner-pants cant hold a candle to that version in his wildest dreams....IMHO :)

Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:35 am

No, I DO LIKE THE ORIGINAL QUITE A LOT NOW. I haven't heard the TJ version in three years, so it's difficult to compare.

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions