Dirty Mac performs on the Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Dirty Mac performs on the Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus

Postby kapoo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:43 am

Hi Hi Hi all, I just wanted to ask you guys, first of all if you’ve seen the Rolling Stones Rock N’ Roll Circus Movie? And secondly, John performs Yer Blues and some others with his band called the Dirty Mac. What’s the deal with John in this video? I love the performance, but is this a rip on McCartney in any way (Mac reference)? He also does a pretty funny bit with Mic Jagger. I love John man, that guy was crazy!
kapoo

Re: Dirty Mac performs on the Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Ci

Postby Bluebird » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:51 am

kapoo wrote:He also does a pretty funny bit with Mic Jagger.
Yeah Mick Jagger is the king of Fun!!! :wink:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kapoo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:00 am

I agree. I'm sure there are some great stories out there that will never be told between John and Mick. So you don't think John was digging at Paul at all with that performance outside the Beatles?
kapoo

Postby HeyJude » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:03 pm

I don't know if he was, but one thing is sure, I've seen Yer Blues from the movie and it's pretty awesome :D
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:16 pm

kapoo wrote:I agree. I'm sure there are some great stories out there that will never be told between John and Mick. So you don't think John was digging at Paul at all with that performance outside the Beatles?

I saw the bit where John and Mick are talking, and somehow it seemed to me that they were not quite on the same planet there. John seemed to be quite serious, but Mick was just having a good time.

About John having a dig at Paul, I haven't read anything on that, but somehow I don't think so. "Mac" was just short for "mackintosh" (even in those days, although then it meant some kind of raincoat), and the name of the group seems to be just one of John's jokes. Besides, the show was staged at the end of the 60s, when the two were still on speaking terms. It wasn't until later (as far as I know) that they had it out on each other in more or less hidden messages in songs and the like.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kapoo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:55 pm

I know, I think it looked like John just showed up at the "Circus" and was in a creative mood and was just letting it fly. And of course Mick was like "wow, this is great man!" It is interesting to me because I would really like to know what that was all about... Why was John performing without the rest of the Beatles?
kapoo

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:28 pm

As I said, I don't have any reliable information on that, but I would guess John just wanted to take some time off the Beatles and do his own thing. Also it gave him the possibility to have Yoko perform and to do things which were just difficult to do within the framework of the Beatles and their image. It didn't seem to be against the Beatles or even some of its members, it was just aside of them. BTW, wasn't George there as well?
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:48 am

I agree w/ you - but no, George was not there.
The "Dirty Macs" were John, Keith on bass, Clapton, Mitch Mitchell on drums and they performed a few tunes, one of them was "Yer Blues".
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby kapoo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:19 pm

Yeah, I guess you all are probably right. I'm always trying to dig up dirt on the early signs of the Beatles split. And I thought John playing his tune with this other band was peculiar. But, I think Paul should have just hooked up with the Stones a couple days later and called his band the "Dirty Lens"... get it? or the "Cracked Lens"... start a little side band beef! just kidding... that was stupid. rock on.
kapoo

Postby dsnito » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:05 pm

Cologne girl wrote:As I said, I don't have any reliable information on that, but I would guess John just wanted to take some time off the Beatles and do his own thing. Also it gave him the possibility to have Yoko perform and to do things which were just difficult to do within the framework of the Beatles and their image. It didn't seem to be against the Beatles or even some of its members, it was just aside of them. BTW, wasn't George there as well?

Mmm...it makes me think now if we can doubt John made references to Paul calling the band as "Dirty"Macs...BUT that was made in late 1968, Apple had been found recently and John was beginning his relation with Yoko...there were no reasons to do such reference then... :? If that happened in mid-1969 or in 1970 I would not have ANY doubt.
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to JOHN