Obscure/cryptic Lennon Lyrics

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:52 am

I would consider it very, very cryptic, had I not come across plenty of information on the song's origins. You know, John wanted to write about an affair he had (he never named a name, though - as fas as I know) in a cottage or something, the girl kind of brushed him off and he ended up sleeping in her bathroom. Afterwards he woke up, she was gone ("the bird had flown") so he got a little fire going (true or not ?) as a way of getting back at her.

Thus, because of all the information above, I don't consider "Norwegian Wood" to be cryptic anymore.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:57 am

Berkeleyan wrote:I would consider it very, very cryptic, had I not come across plenty of information on the song's origins. You know, John wanted to write about an affair he had (he never named a name, though - as fas as I know) in a cottage or something, the girl kind of brushed him off and he ended up sleeping in her bathroom. Afterwards he woke up, she was gone ("the bird had flown") so he got a little fire going (true or not ?) as a way of getting back at her.

Thus, because of all the information above, I don't consider "Norwegian Wood" to be cryptic anymore.

I saw somewhere that the line "So I lit a fire, isn´t it good? Norwegian Wood..." John referred that he accidentally almost had set a fire in a wood cottage...then that inspired him to that verse...would that be true?
Last edited by dsnito on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:47 am

Well I guess so because a few sources (books) refer to that incident in Lennon's Beatle life.
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:37 pm

Yeah, maybe saw it in a book or in a mag article, can´t remmember...
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:26 am

I guess a source once quoted John (on the lyrics to Norwegian Wood) said - " that's me writting obscurely, a la Dylan..."
Berkeleyan

Previous

Return to JOHN