::Let It Be

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:00 pm

[left]http://www.macca-central.com/albums/beatles/letitbe/thumb1.gif[/left]Let It Be
http://www.macca-central.com/albums/beatles/letitbe
Mike
Gold member :)

:Let It Be

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:34 pm

Let It Be
May 18, 1970 Apple Records

Side A (LP)
1. Two Of Us (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Dig A Pony (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Across The Universe (Lennon/McCartney)
4. I Me Mine (Harrison)
5. Dig It (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey)
6. Let It Be (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Maggie Mae (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. I've Got A Feeling (Lennon/McCartney)
9. One After 909 (Lennon/McCartney)
10. The Long And Winding Road (Lennon/McCartney)
11. For You Blue (Harrison)
12. Get Back (Lennon/McCartney)

Although released in 1970 and thought by many as the Beatles' last album, Let It Be was actually recorded in January of 1969; before Abbey Road. The album was originally to be called Get Back but was changed. The album was the soundtrack to the film "Let It Be;" a documentary of a band recording an album. This was in order to fufill a contractual obligation to United Artists. However, sadly, the film has been viewed as a documentary of a band breaking up. The songs on Let It Be were recorded live; some from atop the roof of the Beatles offices on Saville Row. Because this was in the midst of a business district, the concert was interupted when neighbors complained of the noise. The original sessions were produced by George Martin, but the tapes were given to Phil Spector (who had just produced John's first solo album) by John just after the group's breakup for reworking. Paul became infuriated with the results, which included orchestration and female backing vocals, and wrote to John to suggest the breakup of the band's legal partnership. The album was released in a box with a special picture book in some countries, and the US version featured a red apple on the disc, marking the maturity and end of the band. Taken out of print from 1975-1978. Let It Be was nominated for the 1970 Grammy for Record Of The Year. It won the 1970 Grammy for Best Original Score Written For A Motion Picture Or TV Special.
Ghavi

Postby Bluebird » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

Why have anybody not wrote comments to that album, I think it´s a good album with Get back, Winding road and the title track. The most of the songs is Maccas, John wrote Pony, across, one after, so it was problaly Pauls. Two of us was mainly written for Linda, but Maybe also John. What do you think?
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:51 pm

Ok, I've been 'accused' by one of the moderators as a smarmy Jann Wenner wannabe, so I will now keep all my reviews brief and to the point.

Let It Be is a brilliant album. Great atmosphere. Phil Spector did a great job, I have no problem with his production. And the title track sounds so much stronger here with the cooler solo and louder drums, rather than the single version which has that pussy-ass rubberband solo and churning organ..uggh.

Same with the version of Get Back on here....much more direct and fresher, louder than the single version. Everything on this album is direct and to the point.

Favourite track, probably I Me Mine.

I give this album 9/10. 1 point off for perhaps losing a bit of cohesion, but I love it the way it is. The Naked version didn't need to come out, IMO. Apple should have just offered the different mixes up on Kazaa or something.
kylestyle

Postby theDingle » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:48 pm

kylestyle wrote:Ok, I've been 'accused' by one of the moderators as a smarmy Jann Wenner wannabe, so I will now keep all my reviews brief and to the point.
C'mon, k, bad vibe, just get to it, nobody enjoys a drama queen rant. :P 8)
kylestyle wrote:the single version .... has that pussy-ass rubberband solo
I happen to like emasculated guitar solos. :P 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Bluebird » Mon May 24, 2004 12:06 pm

I read on a website yesterday, that it was Paul who has wrote the most of "Maggie may", anyone who knows if it´s true. "Dig it" is Johns, right?
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 24, 2004 12:13 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:I read on a website yesterday, that it was Paul who has wrote the most of "Maggie may", anyone who knows if it´s true. "Dig it" is Johns, right?
Oh boy..here we go again, lol.

I think George martin secretly wrote 82.777 percent of Johns songs and 81.653 of Paul's songs. :wink:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 pm

Still wondering... Anyone who knows who wrote the melody from Maggie may?
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Mon May 24, 2004 12:24 pm

It sounds like some old traditional folk tune..who knows...they freely admitted they "nicked" a lot of tunes from various sources..
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums