Cloud 9

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:26 am

kylestyle wrote:As I see it, you never hear about people complaining about Phil Spector's wall of sound, or Steve Albini's beefy kick drum sounds. It's good for a producer to have their own style, and yeah, I like his trademark sound too.

With Phil Spector, if you look at POB there was no Wall of Sound at all. They took a very minimialistic approach to the production and the only way that could have been done was John and Yoko really controlling Phil. The next album Imagine I feel only has one song, I Don't Want to Be a Soldier which has a full blown Wall of Sound.

On the other hand ATMP, is a typical bombastic , Wall of Sound, Spectorfest where it was needed and it all worked even though George later felt it was over produced.

I wonder what Paul would have sounded like if he was Spectorised.
Harry

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:34 am

Harry wrote:I wonder what Paul would have sounded like if he was Spectorised.
I think you have your answer with the original LIB album. Especially, TLAWR. :pukel The naked version is SOOOO much better.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:13 am

Yeah good point. I don't think Paul would have ever considered Spector to produce his solo stuff. Irregardless of TLAWR, I think Paul felt that Spector just did not suit his music.
Harry

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:05 am

Harry wrote:Yeah good point. I don't think Paul would have ever considered Spector to produce his solo stuff. Irregardless of TLAWR, I think Paul felt that Spector just did not suit his music.
WAD, Harry. I don't think his personal quirks (guns in the studio, etc., well before the "problem" with the woman last year) and his sound suit Paul very well. He's always worked in the studio with people he connects with rather than relying on tarot cards or the like, ala Bin Ono.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:21 am

Harry wrote:Yeah good point. I don't think Paul would have ever considered Spector to produce his solo stuff. Irregardless of TLAWR, I think Paul felt that Spector just did not suit his music.

right, and I understand why Paul was angry about Phil spectors version of TLAWR, Beatles was a primitive recording band, and Winding road was problably not.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri May 14, 2004 6:57 am

Some of you must have noticed it before me, may have posted about it.
Anyway: I noticed that "Cloud Nine" is George's NINTH solo album.
So there is a shade of a double meaning to it - that and the fact that "cloud 9" means great joy or bliss.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Fri May 14, 2004 8:40 am

Berkeleyan wrote:Some of you must have noticed it before me, may have posted about it.
Anyway: I noticed that "Cloud Nine" is George's NINTH solo album.
So there is a shade of a double meaning to it - that and the fact that "cloud 9" means great joy or bliss.
His second best in my eyes. :)
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Sat May 15, 2004 7:10 pm

I'm not really authorized to speak here because I know very little of George's solo stuff, but I love number 9 and I do know "Cloud 9" and it's BRILLIANT. Makes me want to get to know some more of his solo stuff actually.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Sat May 15, 2004 9:35 pm

Is that serious, CG?? So I think you MUST get most of George´s works!!
I´m pretty sure you know "All Things Must Pass"(1970-"My Sweet Lord", "What Is Life"), the triple album(in vinyl; double if in CD), don´t you??"Living In The Material World"(1973-"Give Me Love(Give Me Peace on Earth)", "33 1/3"(1976-"Crackerbox Palace", "This Song"), "George Harrison"(1979-"Love Comes To Everyone", "Blow Away") are good choices..."Dark Horse"(1974-"Ding-Dong, Ding Dong"), "Extra Texture"(1975- "You"), "Somewhere In England"(1981-"All Those Years Ago")","Gone Troppo"(1982-"Wake Up My Love")in a minor key...
Haven´t you get his last work "Brainwashed", CG?? You should...
:)
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Sun May 16, 2004 6:10 am

The lyrics on Brainwashed is one of his best ever!! :cheers
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE