Electronic Sound (1969)

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Electronic Sound (1969)

Postby kylestyle » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:24 am

Side One - Under The Mersey Wall (18'42'')
Side Two - No Time Or Space (25'04'')

Has anyone else heard this? It's a very nutty recording, of Moog sound effects. Sounded like George had a lot of fun messing around with the Moog and playing with the dials etc. Many of the effects recorded would be great for films and Dr Who etc. I wouldn't recommend it as essential listening, but if you can get hold of it, it definitely puts another slant on George as a musician that perhaps you otherwise would not expect of him.
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:33 pm

I really would like to own this one, kylo, it's one of the few I haven't heard yet.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Bluebird » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:19 am

I´ve never liked this album, I don´t know why he released it. His album a couple of years later " All thing must pass" is quite better I think.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:36 am

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:I´ve never liked this album, I don´t know why he released it. His album a couple of years later " All thing must pass" is quite better I think.

Haaaa, that is a 'delicate' way of putting it. :D

I would have liked to have heard a blend of Moog with acoustic sounds on All Things Must Pass. He opted for straight-ahead arrangements on it, but some of the tunes could have benifited from a bit of Moog-ing or something out-of-the-ordinary. Art of Dying would be great with a bit of crunchy Moog-ing going on, or having an eerie call-and-response thing going on in the background of If Not For You.

We've had the remasters, stay tuned for the remixes....
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Bluebird » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:26 pm

Kylestyle wrote:
We've had the remasters, stay tuned for the remixes....

We´ve had the remixes, stay tuned for the remasters! :salute :salute
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:10 pm

I see this album as a bit of an "anti-album". At the time, there were some undeniably well-crafted Moog records springing up, beautiful melodies, themes, and even the most weirdest Moog albums (such as Mort Garson's "The Wozard of Iz") had strong motifs, actual songs and words, and a concept running through it.

Maybe George had the idea of mucking about... as a concept in itself - the childlike notion of discovery, hence the cover art. The album plays exactly like that - like someone 'discovering' the world of the Moog. I think it works fine as a sound collage album, and Moog sounds are great. Rather than evaluate the album as a piece of music, I kinda imagine as myself watching over George's shoulder making all these cool sounds... like "press this button, go on" hahahaha :D
kylestyle

Postby Bluebird » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:30 pm

Maybe there are some good melodies and great moog work, but it can´t be one of his stronger albums.
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:38 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Maybe there are some good melodies and great moog work, but it can´t be one of his stronger albums.

I think the Moog work is rather amateurish and a lack of good melodies. It's the bizarre sounds that spring up from time-to-time - i think they would sound cool in a Z-grade sci-fi movie!
kylestyle

Postby Bluebird » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:58 am

kylestyle wrote:
Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Maybe there are some good melodies and great moog work, but it can´t be one of his stronger albums.

I think the Moog work is rather amateurish and a lack of good melodies. It's the bizarre sounds that spring up from time-to-time - i think they would sound cool in a Z-grade sci-fi movie!

Big CHOKE!!! :shock:
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:25 am

:lol:

I still like to hear it occasionally though. I listen to it more than the Two Virgins album, which I very rarely listen to.
kylestyle

Next

Return to GEORGE