Custom Compilation Man is BACK!

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:39 pm

Cologne girl wrote:
Ram1 wrote: But, am I the ONLY Forum member who likes SINYC????

No, you're NOT.

Cool! 8)
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:37 am

theDingle wrote:
Liam OSM wrote:Yes It Is - yes it is boring. I can't stand it.

Huh? Blue Jay Way maybe, but YII? Stevinks, Raminks, you said conversing with Liam would be interesting, lol! :?

Liam, YII--while a B-side to be sure---IS--(even simply on a theoretical basis, with those trademark complex Beatle harmonies)--A BEAUTY. But then, this is your compilation (*snicker*--~ahem, excuse me), not mine. Party on. :P

You have every right to your opinion. I just find the song entirely dull. I do agree with you about BJW, mind! It's mainly those harmonies that I just don't like. Similarly the harmony bits on "This Boy", and, worst of all, "Sun King". Send me to sleep every time.

Oh, btw, Dingle - as for the absence of Anthology cuts, well, it's simple. I am leaving them out because they weren't the finished product. The actual songs on the 1963-1970 albums (plus the non-album tracks, ie "Past Masters"). That is my canon of available material. Their official releases that made it out. Hell, I didn't even include "Real Love" - a corker of a song to be sure, but . . . hang on. Why DIDN'T I include Real Love? I listened to the Lennon compilation yesterday afternoon as well, and the end part was a mess! Good songs, WAD, but something is seriously wrong here. Watch this space <-- yes, that one!
Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist needs their head examining.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:25 pm

Liam OSM wrote:
theDingle wrote:
Liam OSM wrote:Yes It Is - yes it is boring. I can't stand it.

Liam, YII--while a B-side to be sure---IS--(even simply on a theoretical basis, with those trademark complex Beatle harmonies)--A BEAUTY.

It's mainly those harmonies that I just don't like. Similarly the harmony bits on "This Boy", and, worst of all, "Sun King". Send me to sleep every time.

Oh, btw, Dingle - as for the absence of Anthology cuts, well, it's simple. I am leaving them out because they weren't the finished product.

OK, now I see. Very interesting indeed! Never in my life would I expect an indifference towards Beatle harmonies from a Beatles fan. That was the very thing I found so wanting in their solo material. Well, you certainly know what you like, as do I. :)

On the other hand, pure harmonies notwithstanding, I have done compilations of their oddest cuts and any possible version that was unconventional, the less polished the better. Has a nice unwinding effect. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:53 am

Fair enough. I just bracket demos and finished songs differently - as I have the demos and stuff all separately anyway, I tend to leave them alone . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:54 am

Right, I've had another go on the Lennon Beatles comp - the old one was a bit of a mess. Here it is - and I'm pleased with this one:

Ask Me Why
Not A Second Time
I'll Be Back
A Hard Day's Night
I'm A Loser
I Feel Fine
Ticket To Ride
Help!
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Day Tripper
Norwegian Wood
Nowhere Man
In My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
I Am The Walrus
Julia
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down
Hey Bulldog
The Ballad Of John & Yoko
Come Together
Because
Across The Universe

And I think this works pretty well . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Bluebird » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:19 am

I am very agree with the last songs but I want have added " No reply" and " Please please me" as the first.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:19 am

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:I am very agree with the last songs but I want have added " No reply" and " Please please me" as the first.

PPM didn't quite make the shortlist, I'm afraid - I always bracketed it as an early "Lennon AND McCartney" song, where they sat down together to write it - but I could be wrong.

As for "No Reply" - that DID make the shortlist, but was cut for time when it overran. As always, there's only so much stuff you can get on one CD!
Liam OSM

Postby Bluebird » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:52 am

Liam OSM wrote:
Biggest Paul Fan wrote:I am very agree with the last songs but I want have added " No reply" and " Please please me" as the first.

PPM didn't quite make the shortlist, I'm afraid - I always bracketed it as an early "Lennon AND McCartney" song, where they sat down together to write it - but I could be wrong.

As for "No Reply" - that DID make the shortlist, but was cut for time when it overran. As always, there's only so much stuff you can get on one CD!
Right, there much stuff, but PPM was a early Lennon compotition where McCartney helps with the chorus.
My list will like:
1. Iam a loser
2. Iam the walrus
3. Strawberry fields
4. This boy
5. All you need is love
6. Julia
7. Everybody´s got something to hide...
8. A hard day´s night
9. Help
10. It wont be long
11. Please please me