Custom Compilation Man is BACK!

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Custom Compilation Man is BACK!

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:47 am

Right, I've listed my Paul compilation, now my one of John's Beatles highlights. As with the Paul one, it had to be pared to the bone to fit onto an 80min CD. Twenty-six tracks, in approximate chronological order - I think it was this:

Ask Me Why
Not A Second Time
A Hard Day's Night
I Should Have Known Better
I'll Be Back
I'm A Loser
Ticket To Ride
Help!
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Day Tipper
Nowhere Man
Norwegian Wood
In My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
Dear Prudence
Julia
Revolution
Hey Bulldog
Don't Let Me Down
The Ballad Of John & Yoko
Come Together
Because
Across The Universe

But it was in the small hours last night - I can't be certain on a couple of them. Any comments?
Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist needs their head examining.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:50 am

Hey Liam!!! I've done this before, but I cant remember mine. I know I stayed away from obvious (at least in my mind) Paul/John shared songs, such as Ill Be Back and Day Tripper, but yours is a good list. About 80% would make mine. I'll have to look at mine soon and compare.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:55 am

Great list Liam !!!

Somehow I would have found a spot for Happiness is a warm gun.
Harry

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:59 am

Steve-o wrote:Hey Liam!!! I've done this before, but I cant remember mine. I know I stayed away from obvious (at least in my mind) Paul/John shared songs, such as Ill Be Back and Day Tripper, but yours is a good list. About 80% would make mine. I'll have to look at mine soon and compare.

Heya Steve-o !!!

Are you sure about those songs being shared ???

I'll be back is a pretty personal John song which I don't think has much of a Paul influence. And Day tripper I always understood to be John's attempt at a single in '65 where Paul helped as much as John would have helped with We Can Work it out.
Harry

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:01 am

Warm Gun was actually never considered. Again, I was trying to balance it out. I originally had Walrus (among others) on the list, but had to drop it for time.

Equally, I'm planning on doing a solo one . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:03 am

Harry wrote:I'll be back is a pretty personal John song which I don't think has much of a Paul influence. And Day tripper I always understood to be John's attempt at a single in '65 where Paul helped as much as John would have helped with We Can Work it out.

Quite - Paul shared vocal duties, but the track was mainly John's.

This, I might add, is the reason "Baby's In Black" isn't on either - I'm not sure whose it is mainly. Great song - probably the most original song they did before 1966 - but its identity is tricky to pin down.
Liam OSM

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:10 am

I actually made a set of John and Paul CD's as if they were solo artists in the Beatles and it really shows how John dominated early and then Paul dominated later. '66 was the plateau where Paul forged ahead and John steadily declined except for '68 where output was about equal.

Also unbelieveable as this may sound John is all over Abbey Road. His songs have more playing time than anyone else's, the length of I Want You helps.
Harry

Postby macca-fanna » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:26 am

The list is cool! I couldn't make one, because after the first 3 albums, there would be too much songs.... :mrgreen:
XxXxXxXxXxXveganXxXstraightXedgeXxXxXxXxXxX
macca-fanna
Silver member
Silver member

Postby theDingle » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:35 pm

Well, Liam, for his early stuff I would include I Call Your Name and You Can't Do That. I'm partial to John's REVOLVER output, so I would exclude others to accommodate those, while still trying to strike a balance. I'm also nutso for Yes It Is instead of others from that era.

I would go with others from the WHITE ALBUM, like Happiness Is A Warm Gun, and I prefer the slower doo-wop Revolution. I'd probably exclude some of the hits, like All You Need Is Love and The Ballad Of John & Yoko.

Then again, the more I think of it, I'd really have to go to 2 CDs! :? It is a quandry, macco-fanno!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:40 pm

My Fave early lennon vocal is, WAD, Anna....just splendid
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to JOHN