Custom-Compilation Man is BACK!

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Custom-Compilation Man is BACK!

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:39 am

Hey'all . . .

Here's an interesting one for 'yas. I put together a compilation of what I think represents some of Paul's finest Beatles songs. Bear in mind that I only had an 80min CD to fit it all on, it came to 78:54. The 28 tracks were as follows (I forget the exact order, it was chronological, but these were the tracks):

I Saw Her Standing There
All My Loving
Can't Buy Me Love
Things We Said Today
I'll Follow The Sun
Yesterday
The Night Before
I've Just Seen A Face
Michelle
Drive My Car
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Eleanor Rigby
Here There & Everywhere
Got To Get You Into My Life
Penny Lane
When I'm Sixty-Four
Fixing A Hole
The Fool On The Hill
Lady Madonna
Back In The USSR
Blackbird
Hey Jude
Get Back
Oh Darling
The Long & Winding Road
Two Of Us
Let It Be

Whatcha reckon? I'm planning to do a solo one as well - or maybe two, one 70s and one post-Wings.
Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist needs their head examining.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:51 am

You left out

And I Love Her
She's a Woman
I'm Looking Through You
She;s Leaving Home
Magical Mystery Tour
Helter Skelter
I've Got A Feeling

and had

I'll Follow the Sun
The Night Before
Michelle
When I'm 64
Fixing A Hole
The Fool On The Hill
Lady Madonna

which I would have dropped.

Interesting that there's not much White Album stuff there. I think its because for '68 alot of that material is equivalent to the indie stuff of roday.
Harry

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:55 am

Paul's is harder for me...In fact, I made mine a few years back and it's 2 80 minutes discs.....It was hard for me to get it to 2, lol.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:57 am

She's Leaving Home - I grant you, that one I clean forgot about. Helter Skelter, well, OK, it's a good one, and I thought about it, but I felt there were sufficient hard-hitting rockers there already.

As for And I Love Her - that was on the preliminary list, but cut for time. I was trying not to include too much material from any one album - and also to include at least one song from each album.
Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist needs their head examining.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:51 am

Liam OSM wrote:She's Leaving Home - I grant you, that one I clean forgot about. Helter Skelter, well, OK, it's a good one, and I thought about it, but I felt there were sufficient hard-hitting rockers there already.

As for And I Love Her - that was on the preliminary list, but cut for time. I was trying not to include too much material from any one album - and also to include at least one song from each album.

Man, Liam. I have to say, it's really nice to have you back, Bro'.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:49 pm

Steve-o wrote:Paul's is harder for me...In fact, I made mine a few years back and it's 2 80 minutes discs.....It was hard for me to get it to 2, lol.
Same here, these decisions would drive me schizo to get on just a single CD-R!

I know that I try to ignore the real history when it comes to including "The Hits", as it were. I also lean towards the stuff that might be less serious (I would include Eleanor Rigby though).

I think some of his, and John's, personality really comes through with the more humorous stuff, and that was always like a bonus to me. With those you got a little extra. They are kinda like outtakes (I would also tap my Anthologies).
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:53 pm

I know what you mean Dr. Dingle.....I've used the And I Love Her A-1 version on my latest compilation Macca-Beatles discs. I just like the vibe of that one. Even though I LOVE the orig, there's something about the electric take that is so very cool....
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:58 pm

Same with me on Can't Buy Me Love with those extra backing vocals and Paul's I-forgot-my-lyric-scat, "shooby-dooby", lol.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:15 pm

LOL, Dingle...I have been infatuated with the Anth DVD in the last year....I need to get back to the CD's and rediscover some stuff. I know you are a huge A I/II/III fan from your posts and your siggy line. :lol:
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:27 pm

Steve-o wrote:LOL, Dingle...I have been infatuated with the Anth DVD in the last year....I need to get back to the CD's and rediscover some stuff. I know you are a huge A I/II/III fan from your posts and your siggy line. :lol:
Yesh and I shwear I'm not shminking anytinking! :? :)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Next

Return to Paul as a Beatle