::Abbey Road

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:02 am

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
I think GH may be talking about the particular guitar riff, which he very well may have had a huge hand in. When he describes HCTS, he says "one of two I wrote", so I know he isnt taking credit for the SONG, IWY(SSH)..maybe just the riff.

Right, Steve.
Ram1

Postby HeyJude » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:24 am

Wanna be annyoed? I found this review on amazon.com - and I found the jerk of all jerks.

1/5 stars FLOPPED, February 26, 2004
Reviewer: Censored Reviewer (see more about me) from USA
The Beatles have one of the shakiest careers I can possibly think of. They first premiered on the Ed Sullivan show before the crowd threw cabbage at them and booed them off the stage. Then they released their debut album "Help!" which was dismissed by critics as "lightweight" and flopped on the charts. The followup, "Rubber Soul" was released the same year and bombed immediately after release. The next year they released "Revolver," which was then noted by critics as an "ambitious failure" and largely shunned by the public. It didn't even appear on the charts. In 1967, the Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper," which went on to be one of the most critically panned albums of all time. This record was reportedly so bad, that EMI didn't even bother to release any singles off it. Due to a cool public reception, an underfunded marketing campaign, bad press, and fatal word-of-mouth, "Sgt. Pepper" tanked. The next year, the band flew to India, chilled with Mia Farrow, and went back into the studio to make their most expensive album yet: the "White" album. The result? It flopped. By this time, the Beatles' future was in SERIOUS jepoardy and had ONE MORE CHANCE to get it right. So, they released "Abbey Road." Not only did this album flop, but it broke up the band. That same year, Paul married Linda Eastman and John married Yoko Ono, and both members were so consumed by their relationships and discouraged by their string of flop albums, that the whole band called it a day. Looking back, it's easy to see why "Abbey Road" got toasted by critics: it's not that great an album. If you want great music from a British band with greater success and far more talent, you have only one option: Duran Duran.

[:(!]
Sorry
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:08 pm

Looks like the Gasman posted that!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeyJude » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:13 pm

It's worse than Gastronaut, he only hated Macca like heck, not the other Beatles. It's something like Gastro squared or cubed.
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Maestri09 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:04 pm

LOL!!!! Duran Duran
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:03 pm

If it hadn't been published at Amazon, I would have thought this "review" was a joke because it contains so many statements that are so obviously not true; history is obviously not the person's forte.

I do like Duran Duran, though. I even went to see them twice in the 80s[:)]. They were quite underrated. They had at least two things in common with the Beatles: they were British and they had a cute bassist.[:D]
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Maestri09 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by Harry
It seems he describes it as a John song which he wrote, I mean all those ideas about timing are John's I don't think would have spent so much time on a George song let alone sing it, it doesn't make sense. Everything is Lennon-like about that song, I don't think George wrote it.

There's no reason why george couldn't have come up with it. I mean, the song has one verse that repeats over and over. I figure that part could easily have been George's. the "She's so...heavy" is obviously john's though.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

GET A LOAD OF THIS!

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:31 pm

I got this off my ISP homepage:

Call him the other Paul. His name is Paul Cole. He's 92. He lives in Florida. And even though he's never listened to a Beatles record in his entire life, Cole has been identified as the mystery man on the "Abbey Road" album cover. He's the one standing in the background watching as Paul, George and Ringo cross the street, reports The New York Post.

This is how he ended up being in the photograph that made the album cover: "I was on a holiday in London with my wife and I said to her, 'I've seen enough museums. You just go ahead, take your time, and I'll see you later,'" Cole explained to Post reporter Bill Hoffman. "I noticed this police car and went over to talk with the officer about the area and then these four guys walked across the street like a line of ducks. I thought they were a bunch of kooks the way they were dressed. They had long hair and one of them was even barefoot. And I had no idea anybody was taking their picture."

Months later, his wife, who is a classical organist, was asked to perform a Beatles song for a friend's wedding. That's when Cole spotted "Abbey Road" laying near the record player. He told the Post, "I saw it and recognized myself right away. I had on a new sports jacket and I'd just bought new glasses. I said to my children, 'Get a magnifying glass out and you'll see me in this picture.' This was just an instance of being in the right place at the right time. But all these years later, it's still kind of fun."

He says he still finds the situation rather humorous. "I still get a laugh out of it. Once in a while, I'll tell somebody, 'You don't realize you're talking to a famous person. My picture is in homes all over the world!'" he joked to the Post.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:49 pm

Y'know, I suppose this is a true account, but in a way this also sounds like one of them Big Apple clowns. I think I remember reading somewhere that the photographer was up on this tall ladder in the center of the street. HOW could Mr. Cole not know that they were being photographed? :?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:52 pm

theDingle wrote:HOW could Mr. Cole not know that they were being photographed? :?
Good point, Dingle....
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums