::Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:41 pm

I can only relate to my kids when they were that age....they were into the stuff I mentioned above...I introduced them, they loved it....I heard the following most the time when they were in their teens:

Smashing Pumpkins
The Who
The Doors
Buffalo Springfield
CSN&Y
Beatles
Macca
Led Zep
Carole King (daughter mostly)
James taylor
Nivana
Pearl jam
Gin Blossums
Metallica
Green day
Oasis
John Lennon
Guess Who
Early Stones

and it could go on forever...and this was the pre-download days. Not all old stuff, but you get the idea. And I didn't let them always use mine (I mostly had alot of vinyl--CD's were just coming in...)...they babysat and cut grass to feed those collections, mostly. Point is..they appreciated good music, no matter the era....and liked it enough to buy it themselves or use up birthday and christmas gifts to get more. And alot of their friends were turned on in a similiar way.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:10 pm

My son is 12 and LOVES The Beatles(group/solo) surely for me hearing my collection most of the time but of course he´s a teenager and likes the current teen preference that is the electronic music(tum-tum-tum-tum in my ears...my God!!) and its variations, things like Drum´n´Bass or whatever...I can hear that once or twice but I can´t stand more than this. Am I getting too old?? :cry: :lol: But I have hope about him, ´cos he likes The Lads sincerely... :D
Last edited by dsnito on Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Maestri09 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:14 pm

I think you guys are missing my point. ...because I can't 100% understand what you are trying to say. I was trying to give a plausible explanation on the following quote

theDingle wrote:I can relate to teenagers today when they say that they can't figure out why no one else their age likes the Beatles.

but then it's become to saying that 'great music is great music regardless of time' etc. and it seems like it's being implied (through these personal examples) that because the beatles are so great everybody loves them, which is contrary to what the dingle is saying. ...I think we are too biased; too much into the beatles and the "oldies" (myself included) to have an objective viewpoint--and too far removed from highschool's halls of conformity.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:01 pm

Maestri09 wrote:An analogy that could be fitting would be if I were to ask how many of the students at your school at that time were fans of Duke Ellington (since he was "the man" 20yrs before sgt pepper.) or the like.

My comment about feeling like the Lone Ranger re: SPLHCB was when I was in the 7th grade. I had developed a precocious critical appetite for the Beatles while my classmates were clueless. By high school my classmates were a bit more aware musically.

Maybe my experience is unique and maybe it's impossible to nail down stats, but at least in my circle of fellow high schoolers that were in the marching band/orchestra (aprrox. 80+or-), I think I can safely say we all had a basic feel of the music trail of at least those 20 years prior to SPLHCB.

The Duke's stuff, as well as a lot of the swing music, was more conducive to what we performed than what was cutting edge. Of course! There were no marching bands/orchestras in the Top 40 or underground FM radio format. So we were playing the moldy goldies of yesterday as well as being hip to what was current.

My uncles and aunts (that are still alive) can vouch for my love and interest in 40s music as a teenager, I raided their record closets! That stuff convinced me, as well as Beatle music that ventured into those and other genres, that good music is good music. Fashion is fickle, but there can be talent in any genre that will elevate that genre.

Finally, let me drop this bomb. I do listen to the rap/contempo youth stuff every other month or so just enough to get familiar with it, just to keep my finger on the pulse. I've heard a few things I like (Outkast- Hey Ya is ok by me).
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:15 pm

I think probably that Paul is the "Frontman" of Sgt. Pepper, I think that John was a bit jealous on Paul in that way.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:52 pm

John only wrote 3 of these songs on this album!
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby macca-fanna » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:56 pm

I count 6.... which do ya mean?
XxXxXxXxXxXveganXxXstraightXedgeXxXxXxXxXxX
macca-fanna
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:17 am

Lucy in the sky, Being for the benefit, Good morning. Maybe 4, he wrote 60 % of a day in the life!
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby HeyJude » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:02 am

Maestri09 wrote:I was referring more to the average kid from 13-17yrs of age, and strictly of the Beatles (perhaps Elvis/Ray Charles) you know, acts categorized today as "oldies". They may have heard them, they may have a vast number of "essential" mp3's of them (or the Monkees, thinking it was the beatles), but are they outward fans and do they outwardly like them enough to step out from the highschool "production line"? In my opinion, I don't think so ...but it would be important to hear this from someone who currently is in highschool (which none of us are).

I remember blowing one week's pay (when I was like, 17) to get the 30th Anniversary White Album on the first day it came out. Unfortunately I also remember being the only one to promote this great event among my friends and peers, and the only one who actually GOT the CD (at least on the first day). And yes, some people were looking at me and saying "so"? "who cares"?

Maestri, I don't think I completely get what you're saying, but me being at high school can report my generation's thoughts about the Beatles and all thsi oldie music:
When I mention the Betles they look at me kinda 'ok, poor idiot...' or start laughing... Some of them don't even know if John or Paul's the one who was murdered! :shock:
There's a guy in my school who likes ABBA and is totally bashed b/c of it.
There are all in all two people in my age I know (apart from the forum members, of course) who actually like the Lads (BTW they have an original Sgt. Peppers vinyl LP, wooooooooooow!)
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:40 am

hey jude wrote:
Some of them don't even know if John or Paul's the one who was murdered!

Okay they must have been very long away from the news :lol: :lol:
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums