What about the Box set?

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

What about the Box set?

Postby Helter Skelter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:29 am

Has anyone bought this yet?
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:20 pm

quote:Originally posted by Helter Skelter
Has anyone bought this yet?

I've got it budgeted for the end of the month, lol.[;)] Bills come first...[xx(]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:17 pm

Nope. Looking forward to it, though. It's a simple matter of budget constraints. [:)]
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:42 pm

I ordered my copy from Amazon.com today. They were running a really good sale on it. (About$100) That's the best price I've seen so far. Originally they were selling it for $120. I haven't seen it at Best Buy yet. (That's a huge American electronics dealer for those of you outside the U.S.)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 am

My order was delieverd today and I can't stop watching the DVD. It just brings tears to my eyes. The interview segments between the videos are so George-like - very humble, and very honest.
Some of the segments from Live in Japan are better than I remember - especially the slower songs. I enjoy watching him talk about his own music. It's a lot different than watching the Beatles Anthology. He seemed so uncomfortable talking about the Beatles on the Anthology. (Which is one of the more frustrating things about George)
Jeff Lynne hit the nail on the head when he said, "George was a reluctant rock star, but he loved to play rock 'n' roll."
As for the CDs, the remastering sounds supurb. I'm still upset with the relatively small number of bonus tracks, but I think a box set of rarities is on the way. (I do think they could have fit the studio version of "Cheer Down" on Cloud 9, however) I also wish ALL of his videos were on the DVD. (But there will probably be a more "definitive" DVD anthology released later)
Regardless of those things, it's still a nice package with lots of great moments. It just makes you wish he were still with us. (And that he had been pushed a little more to make more solid albums like ATMP, Cloud 9, and Brainwashed) - He was clearly capable of greatness, and he could be a good live performer under the right circumstances. I always wanted to see him live, but it wasn't meant to be. At least we have these records...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:23 am

Cool, mtm. The DVD sounds like a goody. I read that David Fricke did the liner notes--I can't stand that dude, but I guess he's OK when he's complimentary to a Fab.

So what is Hottest Gong In Town like?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:39 am

So what is Hottest Gong In Town like?[/quote]

I like it - it's got a real rag-time feel to it.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:26 pm

I really like the first video for "Got My Mind Set On You." (Set in an arcade) I'm glad they put both versions on the DVD. The one with the flips is cute and all, but the arcade one is really cool. It's got a real '50s feel to it.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Grillo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:30 pm

A friend of mine here bought it online last week and he says it´s great.
As you can see he´s a damn selfish :)
God is in everything. God is in the space between us. God is in the table in front of you
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:51 pm

Grillo wrote:A friend of mine here bought it online last week and he says it´s great.
As you can see he´s a damn selfish :)
grills....pick your AVATAR, man. You know you want to put DA RAIN up there, lol!!!
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to GEORGE