FAVORITE BEATLE/MACCA BOOKS

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby numberwriter » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:36 pm

the wings over america book is quite nice.. i remember having that back in about '76 or 77... but my fave book has to be come together john lennon in his time by jon weiner..(1984) holding the book as i write, the isbn number is 0-571-13581-1 isbn 0-57113576-5 pbk
a good long adult read.

a 'powerful political biography'
numberwriter

Postby Nana » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:27 pm

Numberwriter, what's the publisher of the book,'Wings over America'?
Nana

Postby Kovy » Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:24 pm

Many Years From Now: I found this to be one of the best as it is told much more from a Beatle perspective of things rather than someone outside the inner circle collecting half the stories from other publications and guessing at the other half. Paul did seem to be in a defensive mode with this book as as John was becoming more St. John and the myth many writers and DJ's alike, that John WAS the Beatles. This was a way of setting it straight. Now people can argue the way it was presented but the facts are the facts, Paul did write many of his songs alone and did help John quite a bit on John songs. Them the facts and I'd rather believe Paul McCartney then someone else who wasn't there in the room. I remember Paul saying something like that, like it was me and John in the room by ourselves and how on earth can anyone else have any input on how the song was written. John obviously can't speak for himself and Paul was the only other person around so, like I said I'd rather belive Paul.
John certainly was not the Beatles and neither was Paul but the four of them and each of their uniqueness combined into something, well, magical in some ways.
Kovy

Postby shinestar » Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:09 pm

The Beatles were, are, magic and always will be. I was skimming through the video of the anthology the other day and was amazed at how moved I was seeing just 3 of them again.

I agree that Paul is the only one now who knew what went on in that room between him and John. I just wish he weren't so insecure about his own worth. I believe he truly thinks he's still a working class bloke from the north rather than the world famous incredibly talented man he is. I also think it's the best book simply because of the amount of research Miles did, rather than relying on his memory or Paul's, whom he's known for decades. Most of us know Paul likes to rewrite history to make himself look better in his own eyes, and by now most of us know what probably actually happened. It's okay. But as far as who wrote what, I think for many of us, especially those of us who were adults at the time, it's quite easy to tell a Paul line from a John whether musical or lyrical. They were very different people.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:49 pm

"Many Years From Now" - no doubt to me, is the best about Paul, 'cos that is his own words, wrote by his old friend Barry Miles.
About The Beatles, I like one wrote by Geoffrey Stokes with many group's photos. Another good book I think is "The Ballad of John and Yoko" wrote by editors of the Rolling Stone magazine.
I didn't have a chance yet to read "I Me Mine" by George Harrison, but I'd like to do it someday.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby numberwriter » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:45 pm

i recall in school being lucky enough to buy the let it be book and box of someone. cost me my weeks dinner money, but worth every penny of 2 pounds, lol. kept it perfect for years and then had it stolen from me during my time in a dodgy flatshare :(
i reckon its worth a fair bit now, dontcha just hate thieves?
numberwriter

Postby numberwriter » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:44 pm

more to that.. i remember having it in my bag in school and not letting anyone look, cos i didnt trust them to take care of it. sat in the canteen, skint, with a cup of custard for my dinner, it was the only thing you could help yrself to for free... lol.
numberwriter

Postby Be-Bop-VaLuLa » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:03 am

-My fav book is 'Many Year From Now' by Barry Miles-
Be-Bop-VaLuLa

Postby Steve-o » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:45 pm

Same here, Be---

Welcome back, by the way.....

Straight to the center of everything right....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:38 pm

I'm only halfway through "many years from now" but it's already better than most of the other crap out there on the beatles.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions