MACCA-onTV Alert - Two of Us on VH1

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:17 pm

Dec. 6 @ 1:30 PM ET - VH1: A fictional, intimate tribute to two of the most influential figures in music history, taking a speculative, bittersweet look at one of the most enduring myths of the rock era.

The date is Saturday, April 24, 1976, and the place is New York City, John Lennon's adopted home. Paul McCartney is in town, playing a string of sold-out concerts at Madison Square Garden in the midst of a smash worldwide tour with his band Wings, hot on the heels of his #1 album, "Wings at the Speed of Sound." Six years after the Beatles played their final notes together, promoters are offering them outlandish sums to reunite, and the air is filled with rampant speculation about its possibility. Amid the buzz, Paul's limo tools aimlessly through the streets of the city, and winds up at The Dakota.

While Lennon has also recorded numerous chart hits through the '70s, he is, in Paul's words, "not to be found," having virtually shut himself off to the world at large after years of well-publicized legal troubles and inner turmoil. Facing his former friend and colleague, Paul's trademark air of goodwill and nonchalance is at first belied by his nervousness as he proffers tickets to the Wings shows -- and tentatively brings up the subject of a Beatles reunion.

After his own shock of the moment, John reveals himself to be volatile as ever, at turns annoyed, mocking, warm, devilish, mystifying, playful, cruel, sincere, angry, hilarious, intense, insecure, combative and always unpredictable. "I'm out of the game, all right?" he glares. "From the time I was twenty-two, I've been under contract. My life has been ruled by somebody else. That's how long it's taken me to finally gain control over my own life, and nobody's gonna take it away from me."

But he's also intrigued and perhaps somewhat in need of Paul's visit.

And later in the evening, after a "Saturday Night Live" skit pokes fun at the Beatles reunion offers, John and Paul prepare to deliver the musical shock of all time.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:17 pm

Dec. 6 @ 1:30 PM ET - VH1: A fictional, intimate tribute to two of the most influential figures in music history, taking a speculative, bittersweet look at one of the most enduring myths of the rock era.

The date is Saturday, April 24, 1976, and the place is New York City, John Lennon's adopted home. Paul McCartney is in town, playing a string of sold-out concerts at Madison Square Garden in the midst of a smash worldwide tour with his band Wings, hot on the heels of his #1 album, "Wings at the Speed of Sound." Six years after the Beatles played their final notes together, promoters are offering them outlandish sums to reunite, and the air is filled with rampant speculation about its possibility. Amid the buzz, Paul's limo tools aimlessly through the streets of the city, and winds up at The Dakota.

While Lennon has also recorded numerous chart hits through the '70s, he is, in Paul's words, "not to be found," having virtually shut himself off to the world at large after years of well-publicized legal troubles and inner turmoil. Facing his former friend and colleague, Paul's trademark air of goodwill and nonchalance is at first belied by his nervousness as he proffers tickets to the Wings shows -- and tentatively brings up the subject of a Beatles reunion.

After his own shock of the moment, John reveals himself to be volatile as ever, at turns annoyed, mocking, warm, devilish, mystifying, playful, cruel, sincere, angry, hilarious, intense, insecure, combative and always unpredictable. "I'm out of the game, all right?" he glares. "From the time I was twenty-two, I've been under contract. My life has been ruled by somebody else. That's how long it's taken me to finally gain control over my own life, and nobody's gonna take it away from me."

But he's also intrigued and perhaps somewhat in need of Paul's visit.

And later in the evening, after a "Saturday Night Live" skit pokes fun at the Beatles reunion offers, John and Paul prepare to deliver the musical shock of all time.
Mike

Postby Ram1 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:52 pm

Cool, Mike. I saw this movie when it originally aired a couple years ago. Pretty good flick. The actors portraying John and Paul are really good. I'm glad they're showing it again. I've been waiting for them to air it again so I can tape it.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:21 pm

Paul actually mentioned that he liked it. The guy who played Lennon i believe is the son of Richard Harris who died recently. I wasn't thrilled with Aidan Quinn as McCartney. His accent was wickedly off - however, i really thought the movie was interesting. Sadly, Paul said he wished they went to the park for a smoke -

Let's face it - Knowing Linda and Paul's love for each other - there was no chance that they would be separated for a day as the movie made it out to be. Linda and Paul were like best friends and i doubt that Paul would face Lennon mano a mano without Linda for fear of Lennon's amazing capacity to inflict pain, suffering, and guilt. I liked when Paul looks at John and just says "U look thin".....ha-ha

I encourage people to see this flick as long as you can get through aidan Quinn's terrible Liverpool accent.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shinestar » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
[
Let's face it - Knowing Linda and Paul's love for each other - there was no chance that they would be separated for a day as the movie made it out to be. Linda and Paul were like best friends and i doubt that Paul would face Lennon mano a mano without Linda for fear of Lennon's amazing capacity to inflict pain, suffering, and guilt. I liked when Paul looks at John and just says "U look thin".....ha-ha

I encourage people to see this flick as long as you can get through aidan Quinn's terrible Liverpool accent.

ok - I'll reply to this in order: Linda and Paul were sometimes separated during the day, e.g., as he rehearsed things like an oratorio and she did her photography; they weren't glued at the hip. I totally agree with your view re Lennon's capacity - well said, Chris! And re A.Q. - maybe it's hard for an Irish accent to cross the Mersey. LOL Eh? [:)]
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:39 pm

Chris, I totally forgot that was Aidan Quinn. And thanks for the info about Richard Harris. Didn't know that was his son. Anyway, I think this film could actually be VERY close to the truth. Well, I mean, obviously they speculated A LOT. But it's the truth that John and Paul LITERALLY almost headed out the door to surprise everyone on SNL that night. And I highly doubt that Linda or Yoko would have been around. I think John and Paul were alone and spent the day together, just like the film says.
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:37 am

I had a hard time getting into aidan quinn playing paul. I liked the guy who played him in backbeat and the movie about linda.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby moose6410 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:54 am

quote:Originally posted by scrodfish256
I had a hard time getting into aidan quinn playing paul. I liked the guy who played him in backbeat and the movie about linda.
[|)]On the other hand, the fellow playing Lennon was so short and scrawny, without the distinct bone structure Lennon had, and also without Lennon's resonant voice, that I appreciated Quinn's Macca far more. He really got some mannerisms down, and, to my mind, pulled off a more affable, 3-dimensional character. I had to laugh when Paul looked a whole head taller than John in the film! But the content of the work was great. I wish I HAD taped it! [:I]
moose6410

Return to MACCA In-The-Media