maxim bashing paul

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:20 pm

Don't worry about your friends. I checked your profile, and see that you're only 13. I think that's awesome! A 13 year old in this day in age of Britney Spears, and you like Paul McCartney. You get major props! I was in your same position growing up. I was always into older classic rock stuff that my peers didn't understand. But you know what? It's their loss. You will grow up being more sophisticated and mature because of it. You are listening to "real" music. Real feeling. Real emotion. Your friends probably wouldn't know real music if it slapped them in the back of their heads. My advice....don't worry about your friends, and keep listening to the awesome music you're listening to. You rule because of it! Keep rockin'!

Edited by - Ram1 on 04/17/2002 22:22:02
Ram1

Postby MACCAFAN2K » Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:33 pm

I know that a lot of people out there bash Paul. It's because they just don't 'get' Paul. Only Paul fans can really understand him. That article could have been written by my ex. He was so jealous of Paul! He used to call him a cheap skate and stuff like that. He made a very rude comment about him while we were leaving one of his concerts in 1989. I was afraid some Paul fans would beat him up. I told him to keep his voice down. Upon relfection, it would have served him right if a bunch of Paul fans beat him up!
MACCAFAN2K

Postby Ram1 » Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:00 am

Very true. My older brother originally got me into The Beatles, and he's one of those really strong pro-Lennon people. Of course he loves Paul's work with The Beatles, but solo-wise, he thinks Paul is pretty lame. Like you said, he just doesn't "get" it. He doesn't understand. But then again, he's pretty much a "musical snob." He'll listen to like 10 seconds of a song and say it's crap. He doesn't give things a chance. He actually did that with RAM of all albums!! Several years ago when I first bought Ram, I was so blown away with the album that I had him come in my room to listen to it. To make a long story short, Too Many People was the only song he listened to all the way through and liked. Every other song, he listen to like the first 10 seconds of it, said it was crap, then moved on to the next song. His final declaration: "This album is crap." I was so pissed. Yeah, everyone has their own opinion, but to not give something a chance and say it's crap, really pisses me off. If he even gave it half a chance, he'd probably like it. I've said time and time again in this forum that I believe Ram is Macca's best and most underrated album. But my brother, he's just one of those "Lennon people" who adopted John's 70's attitude of "Paul and his silly love songs." He just doesn't "get" it.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:28 pm

After your brother bashed Ram, i think i would have bashed him in the face a few times and let him feel your anger. People have a narrow minded view of Macca that impossible to change! That view comes from weak a$$ critics and John Lennon?

If he thinks Ram is lame, ask him about all the lame Lennon solo albums like Sometime in NYC, Mind Games, and Walls and Bridges!!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:54 pm

Heh heh, Chris. I actually wanted to bash him in the face. He's one of these people that if John and Paul came out with the exact same song, that sounded exactly the same, he'd probably say he likes John's version better. Now I herald John Lennon as a genius just as much as the next person, but I'm not gonna sit around and spew all of this crap that he was somehow greater than Paul. Even George Martin himself admitted that he thinks John was jealous of Paul's songwriting capabilities because melodies came so easily to Paul, and John had to "work at it." Not to bash the dead, but that's actually one of the biggest things I couldn't stand about John. It's like he wore his jealousy of Paul on his sleeve, even though he may not have realized it. For example, on a couple of my Beatles videos where Paul does 'Yesterday' live, after the song, John would come back to the mic and say something pretty sarcastic like "Uh, thank you, Paul. That was just like him", or (sarcastically) "Beautiful Paul") or something like that. It's almost like you could see his jealousy of Paul's great songwriting craft. I could be wrong, but to me, it seems pretty obvious.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:58 pm

Oh, and yeah I know what you mean about some of the lame Lennon stuff. I should lock my brother in a room one day and make him listen to "Dear Yoko" over and over again for hours. Talk about lame. I'd rather listen to a Yanni concert special.

Edited by - Ram1 on 04/18/2002 14:02:14
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:54 pm

I heard that "whatever gets you though the night" is about paul.
If so that is really obvious. I'm not quite sure though.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby shinestar » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:56 pm

Yes, that song is about Paul as is "How Do You Sleep" during the period when he and John weren't getting along.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:29 am

sorry, that was the song I meant. Late night last night.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:58 am

Yeah, 'How Do You Sleep' is perhaps John's most blatant song about Paul. John even admitted himself that it was a direct response to Paul's 'Too Many People' and other songs on Ram.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions