Concerts for the Queen

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:46 am

quote: Being in Kansas City, I was more than pleased to hear him say another tour was forthcoming . . . will he be "Goin' to Kansas City" this time (I hope!)?

Hey GeeReenie...I don't wanna dissapoint you, but I think Paul was talking about an English/European Tour.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Len » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:35 pm

And it's about bloody time too! You American fans didn't seriously think you could keep him there, did you? Victory at last!

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:35 pm

Yeah Gennie, I think he's referring to a UK/Euro tour.

I seriously doubt he'll be coming back for another North American tour.

Good god! After the the UK/Euro tour I hope the ol' saint takes it easy.
dakota

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:36 pm

Correction. "God" must be capitalize!.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:38 pm

Thought I'd re-visit some "older" topics. I thought overall the concert was pretty good. I've definitely seen way better concerts/tributes, but it was still good. Have mixed feelings about some of the performances. I LOVE Queen, but I guess it's still hard for me to see them perform without Freddie.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:51 pm

Tell me about it! I am pretty big as Queen fans go (well, I'm pretty big anyways . . . but let's not get into my eating habits ) - I'm a fairly hardcore Queen fan, and I say Freddie is the best singer of all time. I've said before, my all-time band would be:

Freddie - lead vocals, camp frontman malarchy
Elton John - piano, backing vocals
Paul McCartney - pen & paper, bass, backing vocals
Eric Clapton - lead guitar, backing vocals
Rick Wakeman - additional keyboards
Stewart Copeland - drums

Copeland was the drummer with The Police, by the way.

Anyway, I'm a big Queen fan, and on many occasions, I've heard people covering Queen songs, and hardly ever being a patch on Freddie.

Notably, W**l Y***g at the Queen's Golden Jubilee show, doing We Are The Champions. UGH! He didn't even try to hit the high notes, much less reach them! As for Brian and Roger, they should have swapped songs - Roger's rough voice suits We Will Rock You just perfectly, and Brian is better for power ballads and the like, and with the emotion he can cram into his voice - Radio Ga Ga would have been better for him to do than We Will Rock You.

Speaking of the musical - I haven't gone to see it, but I am interested. I saw a Parkinson interview with Ben Elton (who has co-written it), and it featured some of the music. Hannah Jane Fox, who did Somebody To Love, was phenomenal. Tony Vincent did We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, but I was so-so on it. Probably because of the huge identity the songs have in the first place.

But Bohemian Rhapsody, at the golden jubilee show . . . absolutely fan-bloody-tastic. High point of the evening ('side from Paul, of course!). The whole cast turned in a great performance, and Tony Vincent went up a few notches in my opinion.

That's my comments on the Queen stuff. Macca rules and all that . . .

Liam - One Small Mouthful!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:00 pm

Yeah, I agree that Brian should have done Radio Ga Ga. I think his voice would have much better suited the song with its smoother texture. By the way, do you have a favorite Queen song? I know it's probably too hard to name, but for me, it might have to be between 'You're My Best Friend' and 'Don't Stop Me Now.'
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:06 pm

I can't pick just one. But here's my faves:

Made In Heaven
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
The Show Must Go On
Innuendo
Who Wants To Live Forever
Somebody To Love
and of course Bo Rhap

Not forgetting "No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)"

I whole-heartedly recommend Queen's "Innuendo", "A Night At The Opera" and "Made In Heaven" albums to anyone and everyone who likes, or claims to like, good music

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:09 pm

Yeah, there are just too many to name. I also love 'Seven Seas of Rhye' and 'Killer Queen' of course. Just too many.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:16 pm

Bit like Paul/Beatles, really! On my laptop, I now have 1086 songs, at the last count (which was this afternoon), and I have done a detailed inventory of how many songs I have on it by each artist - well, each artist that has at least 10 songs; anything else goes under miscellaneous of the relevant decade. The Beatles are tops with 150 songs, and second is Paul McCartney with 117! Queen come in third with 116 . . . oh yes! I think my musical tastes are confirmed! Let's just put the list up as it stands now:

1. Beatles - 150
2. Paul McCartney/Wings - 117
3. Queen - 116
4. Sting/Police - 80
5. ABBA - 69
6. Bryan Adams - 67
7. Roger Taylor/Cross - 54
8. Electric Light Orchestra - 49
9. John Lennon - 34
10. Frank Sinatra - 27
11. Foreigner - 27 (fewer 10/10 songs)
12. Simon & Garfunkel - 25
13. Elvis Presley - 24
14. Agnetha Faltskog (the blonde one from ABBA) - 24
15. Chuck Berry - 24
16. Styx - 23
17. Elton John - 22
18. Buddy Holly - 21
19. Freddie Mercury - 18
20. Brian May - 17
21. Def Leppard - 15
22. 60s Misc - 15
23. 70s Misc - 15
24. Andrew Lloyd Webber (Misc) - 12
25. Robbie Williams - 11
26. 80s Misc - 11
27. Bill Haley - 10
28. 90s Misc - 6
29. 50s Misc - 3

Something like that, anyway. I think it's 15 for the 70s, I'm not sure, not having the file on me, but everything else, I know is right.

Liam OSM

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions