George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:34 pm

Well people, changing matter, how's about George as a guitarist???
I reckon that he's not kinda "guitar hero" or virtuose as Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or David Gilmour but he ever played with much feeling and putting the chords on the right lines... don't know if you're understanding me... His guitar solos on "Something" and more recently on "Free As A Bird" ever move me too much!!! His slide guitar riffs are much peculiar and got his own style.

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 07/23/2002 16:12:33
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:07 pm

GH was one of the best and most innovative guitarists that EVER lived!! His playing was so influential. I'm just sorry that I didn't realize it earlier. It wasn't until recent years that I really learned to appreciate it. Many Beatles songs wouldn't have been nearly the same without George's guitar work. And Dsnito, you're right. George had a distinctive slide playing that was so smooth and awesome.
Ram1

Postby mr. kite » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:41 am

George influenced a lot of musician not only because of his style of playing the guitar but more of the way he instilled discipline in playing the instrument. I know for one that there were several Beatles tracks in which he has to stay alone in the recording studio just to get the correct licks that he's trying to do. In Im Only Sleeping, I know that he has to record the solo in reverse so that when played backwards it would sound normal without us knowing it.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:02 pm

George was one of the greats! I just finished reading a book on george by geoffry gulliano. I really don't like that guy. I guess that is why I will not read blackbird. I don't think I would recomend it to anyone. It goes back and forth too much and I think there is more info about the hari karishna religion than about george.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby shinestar » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:59 pm

Thanks, Scrod! :)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:02 am

quote:
George influenced a lot of musician not only because of his style of playing the guitar but more of the way he instilled discipline in playing the instrument. I know for one that there were several Beatles tracks in which he has to stay alone in the recording studio just to get the correct licks that he's trying to do. In Im Only Sleeping, I know that he has to record the solo in reverse so that when played backwards it would sound normal without us knowing it.

Yes, Mr.Kite, George ever had a clever mind indeed, as when he blew a stroke to get the sea waves sound effect on "Yellow Submarine" and bubblings on water on "Octopus's Garden". But I didn't recall that backwards effects were George's idea. I thought that was of Paul or John as on "Tomorrow Never Knows" sound effects.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:07 pm

And we have to remind that was George the Indian sitar introducer to pop/rock songs... Since he played that most of western musicians did incorporate some sitar line on the songs even nowadays.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby shinestar » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:54 pm

Thanks, Dsnito! You are sooo right. It's nice to remember such things. :)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:48 am

You're welcome, Shinestar!!! All the Beatles's fans only have praises to that wonderful musician as Harrison was.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:27 am

Yes dsnito, the idea of backward music came from John. In the song Im Only Sleeping, a John song, George took time to perfect the idea wanted by John which was to play the notes in reverse while they're recording it so that when played normally it would sound correct.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE