::A Hard Day's Night

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

:A Hard Day's Night

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:23 pm

A Hard Day's Night
November 22, 1963 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. A Hard Day's Night (Lennon/McCartney)
2. I Should Have Known Better (Lennon/McCartney)
3. If I Fell (Lennon/McCartney)
4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Lennon/McCartney)
5. And I Love Her (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Tell Me Why (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Can't Buy Me Love (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Any Time At All (Lennon/McCartney)
9. I'll Cry Instead (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Things We Said Today (Lennon/McCartney)
11. When I Get Home (Lennon/McCartney)
12. You Can't Do That (Lennon/McCartney)
13. I'll Be Back (Lennon/McCartney)

The first album to consist of all original Lennon/McCartney tracks, A Hard Day's Night was the soundtrack to the #1 movie of the same name. John provided the most songs; 10 of the 13. The film was about 'Beatlemania', how the group reacted to screaming girls and the such. Screenwriter Alun Owen said, "They were at the time 22 or 23 years old. They had never acted before. If you go through the script, you'll see that no sentence is longer than six words, because they couldn't have handled any more." The American version, rather than featuring 13 Lennon/McCartney tunes like the British LP, had 8 Lennon/McCartney songs and 4 Lennon/McCartney songs as played by George Martin's Orchestra. The album was nominated for the 1964 Grammy for Best Original Score Written For a Motion Picture or TV Show.
Ghavi

:A Hard Day's Night

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:23 pm

A Hard Day's Night

Side A (LP)
1. A Hard Day's Night (Lennon/McCartney)
2. I Should Have Known Better (Lennon/McCartney)
3. If I Fell (Lennon/McCartney)
4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Lennon/McCartney)
5. And I Love Her (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Tell Me Why (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Can't Buy Me Love (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Any Time At All (Lennon/McCartney)
9. I'll Cry Instead (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Things We Said Today (Lennon/McCartney)
11. When I Get Home (Lennon/McCartney)
12. You Can't Do That (Lennon/McCartney)

The first album to consist of all original Lennon/McCartney tracks, A Hard Day's Night was the soundtrack to the #1 movie of the same name. John provided the most songs; 10 of the 13. The film was about 'Beatlemania', how the group reacted to screaming girls and the such. Screenwriter Alun Owen said, "They were at the time 22 or 23 years old. They had never acted before. If you go through the script, you'll see that no sentence is longer than six words, because they couldn't have handled any more." The American version, rather than featuring 13 Lennon/McCartney tunes like the British LP, had 8 Lennon/McCartney songs and 4 Lennon/McCartney songs as played by George Martin's Orchestra. The album was nominated for the 1964 Grammy for Best Original Score Written For a Motion Picture or TV Show.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:41 pm

I just realized something after all these years. I had really wanted the VeeJay flap over version of INTRODUCING THE BEATLES for my birthday, but didn't get it. I now remember that not long after that, my Mom joined the Capitol Record Club, and she let me pick the U.S. version of the AHDN Soundtrack for my own. Thanks again, Mom! [:)]

My brothers already had three of the 45s: AHDN/I Should Have Known Better, I'll Cry Instead/I'm So Happy Just To Dance With You and If I Fell/And I Love Her. All these songs were so good, and that was so unusual, because IMO, they were basically all double A-sides when you compare them to what most artists of the time were putting out. And all three were jamming the top of the chart at the same time!

I wasn't all that gassed about George Martin's instrumentals, but I was still glad to have the album. It conjured up images of the movie in a day when there was no such thing as a home VHS; you just stayed hungry to see the movie again, and it was iffy that a favorite movie was ever re-released in theaters. Of course, one could always resort to the AHDN bubble gum cards! They were really cool, I wish I still had them.

You Can't Do That was on the U.S. THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM, and that is still a killer song to me, and another great Lennon vocal, as well as featuring that unique Rickenbacker guitar sound.

Capitol Records of course had to make their buck and came out with the SOMETHING NEW album, another 11 song rip-off, even though it had the oddball Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand , lol! I read that the Beatles hated that version, but it is kinda fun to hear. My brother had bought the Slow Down/Matchbox 45, but was so non-plussed by it that he took it back to the store and got a refund! Slow Down may have been a cover tune, but they played it well, though I think the Backbeat Soundtrack band did the best version.

I never did get SOMETHING NEW until about the mid-70s. Any Time at All and When I Get Home were good Lennon vocals, but weak songs. Things We Said Today I really liked, it had some great harmony sections.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Helter Skelter » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:55 am

This is the best of the "beatlemania" albums from Please please me - Help.

Not one bad song IMO.

"I´ll be back" is haunting and beautiful.. it should have been a hit and more well know.
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby unclekevin » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:45 am

this is not the best album in america, but it is the best cd. once you take the instrumentals out and put in rock and roll this album is the best beatles album.
unclekevin

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:47 am

A Hard Day's Night

Here are the Songswriters on each song.

Side A (LP)
1. A Hard Day's Night (Lennon)
2. I Should Have Known Better (Lennon)
3. If I Fell (Lennon)
4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Lennon)
5. And I Love Her (McCartney)
6. Tell Me Why (Lennon)
7. Can't Buy Me Love (McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Any Time At All (Lennon)
9. I'll Cry Instead (Lennon)
10. Things We Said Today (McCartney)
11. When I Get Home (Lennon)
12. You Can't Do That (Lennon)
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:14 am

You are assuming too many things...they wrote together ALOT during this period. What you are stating as "fact" is in reality who SANG or who was the dominate songwriter of each song.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 am

yes yes, but now I problably talking about the lead writer of each song. We all know that John helped Paul a lot on "and I love her" and Paul helped John on "A hard day´s night". This is just the lead writer!!!!! 8)
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:00 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:yes yes, but now I problably talking about the lead writer of each song. We all know that John helped Paul a lot on "and I love her" and Paul helped John on "A hard day´s night". This is just the lead writer!!!!! 8)
OK, but it's so obvious, why are you posting it?

It's like saying that grass is green or the sky is blue.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:27 am

he he ( laughing) :lol: Yes, I can accept that symbol! :D
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums