Why did John "hate his voice" at some point ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Why did John "hate his voice" at some point ?

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:41 am

I´s been said that John "hated his voice" at some point (around the time of Sgt. Peppers) and that he always wanted some distorting effect applied to it. For instance "filtering" his voice through a Leslie speaker.
People like George Martin ("he hated his voice...")and fellow Beatles ("he wanted to sound different") have mentioned that at some point.
I wonder why John wanted to change his wonderfully expressive, great sounding vocals.Was it because of a restless nature of his to promote changes ? Was it perhaps due to LSD influence ?[:0]
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:01 am

Many singers find it difficult to listen to their own voice - and few actually like the sound of it.

McCartney deals with this by trying to sing in somebody else's style on certain tracks. I think this is one of the reasons his voice can sound so different and varied between tracks.

For example, on "Here, There and Everywhere", he claims he was trying to sing like Marianne Faithful !!
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:05 am

Huh, if John Lennon didn't like to hear his own voice, can you imagine what I think about MINE's???? It's HORRIBLE, and when I sing on karaoke(yes, I dare to do it!!)I'm ever ASHAMED[:I]but I'm still doing it...poor neighbourhood's ears...!!!LOL[:D][:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:32 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Huh, if John Lennon didn't like to hear his own voice, can you imagine what I think about MINE's???? It's HORRIBLE, and when I sing on karaoke(yes, I dare to do it!!)I'm ever ASHAMED[:I]but I'm still doing it...poor neighbourhood's ears...!!!LOL[:D][:D]

Peace.

[:)][:)]
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to JOHN