Cold Turkey

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Cold Turkey

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:47 pm

When I heard that song for the 1st time, I was shocked and impressed...that describes about the heroin abstinence effects, isn´t that?? I translated that song in my own way(I was just 12) that time because I thought that was a funny title(was that about eating a cold turkey at Christmas?, I thougt[:D]), but that made me really frightening and made me staying away from all kind of drugs...
I´m very grateful to John for that!!! People told me that he recorded himself having a REAL abstinence despair, is that true???

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Cold Turkey

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:47 pm

When I heard that song for the 1st time, I was shocked and impressed...that describes about the heroin abstinence effects, isn´t that?? I translated that song in my own way(I was just 12) that time because I thought that was a funny title(was that about eating a cold turkey at Christmas?, I thougt[:D]), but that made me really frightening and made me staying away from all kind of drugs...
I´m very grateful to John for that!!! People told me that he recorded himself having a REAL abstinence despair, is that true???

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:04 am

So are you saying that if it wasn't for this song you'd now be a junkie?
Gastro (gone)

Postby dsnito » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:43 am

Uh...here you are...[xx(] !!LOL[:D] Who could know it??? Probably not, I don't know...good question!!! Maybe that's why I'm ever thankful to John!! I never even wanted to experience any kind of drug... drug is the CANCER of the world... good song title, don't you think so???

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:31 pm

I bought the 45 when it first came out, but I remember thinking what an edgey song it was, similar to Yer Blues. The sleeve was clever--it was an X-ray of John's head---with his glasses on, lol.

I really like Cheap Trick's cover of it, IMO they're great with a Lennon tune.

I think John talked publicly at the time about his addiction in a great interview with Jann Wenner for Rollingstone, which was later published in paperback as Lennon Remembers. I don't have my copy anymore, but it's probably on the Internet somewhere.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Return to JOHN