Cloud 9

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Cloud 9

Postby dsnito » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:28 pm

"Got My Mind Set On You", "When We Was Fab" and "Devil´s Radio", the top 3 of "Cloud Nine" to me... How would you rate that?? I think that´s nr.3 after ATMP and Brainwashed...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby maccastheman » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:39 pm

I really like "This is Love." A very sweet George-sounding song. Go figure. ;)

Got My Mind Set on You and When We Was Fab are both great songs, no doubt. I agree with your assessment of where Cloud 9 fits in with all of his other albums. (Right below ATMP and Brainwashed)

I like a lot of the stuff that came immediately after Cloud 9. Cheer Down and End of the Line are incredible songs IMHO.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:50 pm

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
"Got My Mind Set On You", "When We Was Fab" and "Devil´s Radio", the top 3 of "Cloud Nine" to me... How would you rate that?? I think that´s nr.3 after ATMP and Brainwashed...

Peace.
I almost agree, Nito!!! A bit of time has passed since Brainwashed, and while it's still great and still in my top 3 GH, I think Cloud 9 deserves the #2 slot behind ATMP....close call. All 3 are LOADS ahead of the rest of the catalogue.....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:07 pm

Yeah Steve, isn´t CN really cool?? CN WAS the nr.2 to me, until Brainwashed release, but very closer to CN.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:20 pm

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman

I like a lot of the stuff that came immediately after Cloud 9. Cheer Down and End of the Line are incredible songs IMHO.

Yeah, there is also "Poor Little Girl" and "****amamie Business", interesting melodie and lyrics...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:20 pm

Clound 9 is great.. defintely top3 album by George.. it blows all the Paul 80's crap away imho.. it's just consistent from start to finish.. the ballads are not as great as on other George albums but they don't detract from the album.. George proved he still had it.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:34 pm

Here we go with the "80's crap" thing again, lol. At least u r consistent, Gastro!! Let's see Tug of War---one of the best, period....Pipes of Peace (yeah, I know, you hate it, lol) Broad Street (a nice bit of history, but it's a soundtrack, folks)....Press to Play (experimental and very satisfying in my book)...and the awesome Flowers in the Dirt. Cloud Nine fits somewhere well below Tug and Flowers, and probably above POP. But that's it. Top 3 in George's career, though, WAD.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:25 pm

Whenever Paul makes a bad album it's called experimental. The reason I think Clound 9 is better is that it has abit of an edge to it. CLoud 9, Devil's Radio, When We Was Fab, Fish On the Sand, Wreck of the Hesperus are great tracks. The album kicks arse from start to finish (minus a few mellow ballads).He did well with his comeback.

I prefer Paul when he's harder edged eg Back to the Egg, V&M, DR, parts of Wild Life. Yeah Tug of War is very good but the album does not kick arse from start to finish. Flowers is also a good album but don't you find it stylistically monotonous after a while? Too technically produced? It needed to have Back On My Feet, Once Upon A long Ago and Flying to My Home on it, then it would have really kicked arse. Why o why he favours songs like Distractions , Too Many People and Motor Of Love I'll never know. Now that's just my opinion.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:34 pm

My only complaint with Cloud Nine is the same one I have with Flaming Pie. Far too much ELO type sound for my taste. Too much Jeff Lynne is never a good thing. I think it's a great album...I just wish there was less ELO and more Harrison. Same with Pie. As for experimental, Press was considered to be that way at the time. Wild Life? Macca II? Not experimental in my book. Just below par and lacking something. part of WL I like...a few tracks on II same thing. But they seem unfinished to me. Worst lyrics on a macca album? Off the Ground. Biker/Changes?Golden Earth Girl still make me cringe. I dig the music, but a severe lyrical misstep in my book. Rushed and not totally thought out. But not as bad as Gone Troppo, lol.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:45 pm

When Off the Ground came out I loved it. I thought it was great.. then I started to think "hey this is not as good as Flowers"... and now I don't like it much.. like u said the lyrics are quite bad.. Biker .. ughhhh.. I Owe It All to You has that god-awful line... "you make me happy.. Oh I Owe it all to you"... which is a shame because the music is quite good.. Golden Earth Girl sound like a better version of Warm and Beautiful to me.. I don't mind the lyrics because I think he was trying to be abstract.. some of his worst lyrics can be found on Red Rose Speedway (I won't even mention POP).. When the Night, the medley and Get on the RIght thing have bad lyrics...just lazy in my book, he could have and should have done much better..

Also I can't stand Paul's arse kissing singing on songs like C'Mon People.. that mellow high register sound does tick me off... the great songs on Flaming Pie are awesome in my book... his best in a long time...
Gastro (gone)

Next

Return to GEORGE