Deep reviews part two: 1973 - 75

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Helter Skelter » Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:32 am

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY - 6/10
A big step from the debut album.
Here we have a band now with a more professional sound and this time the songs were also much better. Maybe the lyrics are more "ordinary pop" than on Wild life, but with their first hit singel at the top of the charts Wings were just about to head for the sky.
STANDOUT TRACKS: MY LOVE, LITTLE LAMB DRAGONFLY, WHEN THE NIGHT, THE MEDLEY.

BAND ON THE RUN - 9/10
Many people concider this to be the Macca/wings masterpeice. Well..I say yes and know. There are really fab songs and the production is great. But what i miss about it is this:
They recorded the album mostly in Lagos and it´s a pitty they didn´t use more african instruments on the songs. That would have made an great album even better. And most of the tracks would sound better live.. (as is the case with most wings tracks from early-mid 70´s).
STANDOUT TRACKS: BAND ON THE RUN, BLUEBIRD, 1985, PICASSOS LAST WORDS.

VENUS AND MARS - 9/10
A great rock/pop album of its time and the start of Wings best line-up (I think). The sound is very 70´s (just like RRS) and while some songs would be heard in rockier form two years later, there is no denying the quality of the songs. A overlooked album if you ask me.
STANDOUT TRACKS: LETTING GO,CALL ME BACK AGAIN, MAGNETO AND TITANIUM MAN.

To be cont..
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Helter Skelter » Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:32 am

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY - 6/10
A big step from the debut album.
Here we have a band now with a more professional sound and this time the songs were also much better. Maybe the lyrics are more "ordinary pop" than on Wild life, but with their first hit singel at the top of the charts Wings were just about to head for the sky.
STANDOUT TRACKS: MY LOVE, LITTLE LAMB DRAGONFLY, WHEN THE NIGHT, THE MEDLEY.

BAND ON THE RUN - 9/10
Many people concider this to be the Macca/wings masterpeice. Well..I say yes and know. There are really fab songs and the production is great. But what i miss about it is this:
They recorded the album mostly in Lagos and it´s a pitty they didn´t use more african instruments on the songs. That would have made an great album even better. And most of the tracks would sound better live.. (as is the case with most wings tracks from early-mid 70´s).
STANDOUT TRACKS: BAND ON THE RUN, BLUEBIRD, 1985, PICASSOS LAST WORDS.

VENUS AND MARS - 9/10
A great rock/pop album of its time and the start of Wings best line-up (I think). The sound is very 70´s (just like RRS) and while some songs would be heard in rockier form two years later, there is no denying the quality of the songs. A overlooked album if you ask me.
STANDOUT TRACKS: LETTING GO,CALL ME BACK AGAIN, MAGNETO AND TITANIUM MAN.

To be cont..
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sun May 12, 2002 11:21 am

Red Rose Speedway - to tell you the truth, I'm not enamoured with this album. After the first three tracks, there's nothing that really gets me going. Sorry and all . . .
Band On The Run - yeah, great. Definitely the best WINGS album. 1985 is amazing, plus the title track, Mamunia and Helen Wheels. Nothing below average
Venus & Mars - good, again. Not quite 9/10, but without having an all-time classic, it's very good. THG-LOP and Medicine Jar are my faves, along with LTWTMS.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby paul higgins » Tue May 14, 2002 8:59 am

i agree that the best wings line up was on venus & mars.joe didn't play on all the album though.when he joined and they did the big tour they were simply brilliant. i saw them when i was 10 in melbourne
paul higgins

Postby dakota » Tue May 14, 2002 10:58 am

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY - Enjoyable record, The album could a used a rock number. Maybe emitting HI,HI,HI and instead releasing MY LOVE as the nonalbum single.
dakota

Postby dakota » Tue May 14, 2002 11:05 am

BAND ON THE RUN - A collection of great material. The downside of the album was that it was recorded in a 3rd rate studio in a 3rd world country. The results being poor sound quality. There are even some late 60's Beatle albums like ABBEY ROAD, LET IT BE that have better sound quality than this 1973 album. Paul should of recorded this one in a country that had state of the art recording facilities.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Tue May 14, 2002 11:50 am

I agree with you, Dakota. Band on the Run....awesome of course. But the sound quality could have been 10 times better. Even with compact disc, it doesn't help much.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 12:30 pm

Fortunately, I guess, the sound quality is good enough for us to not just throw it away! 1985, BOTR, Mamunia, HW, BRILLIANT songs!
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Tue May 14, 2002 12:42 pm

Yeah, Liam. I'm glad you mentioned 1985. That song ROCKS. Possibly my favorite on the album.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 2:48 pm

Ram1, I agree with you whole-heartedly. 1985 is THE best on the BOTR album!

Having said that, if you remove the piano line, it wouldn't be much cop at all.

Bit like Derek & The Dominoes' "Layla" without the guitar riff.

Those individual parts to those two songs give them such a presence, and turn them into brilliant songs on the strength of one part alone! Funny how that sometimes happens!
Liam OSM

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions